Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:09 PM   #11

My Powershot A40 also had spots, but I think it was the lens. Because when I cleaned the lens I didn't saw the spots in my pictures anymore. This picture I took in Bali.

Bloodstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:59 PM   #12

The problem we are discussing here is rather well described with photos above , I think you can forget lens problems , and it also those not seem “noise” to me. I have got many photos in many different conditions with it , they have got only one thing in common : the using of flash , so the cold air explanation is also improbable for me. Any way it does not worries me a very much , let me tell you that, one night i made 90 flahs photos with a nikon 5700 (that is a great digi-cam ) and 7 of them had those spots , so it seems that is a universal problem of digital photo, and probably few people knows the true reasons for it.

Here goes another sample token by “Nikon 5700”

Regards
pedro nuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 10:39 PM   #13

Slim
Who knows a UFO when he sees one.
CowboySlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:37 AM   #14

I showed this pic to a friend and he suggested it might be a diffraction pattern. Usually you don't get such a structured picture because most of dust we deal with is of soft kind - fibres, fluffs, etc., which give smooth spots. If by chance you run into hard dust particles with flat sides, they work as a point light source, and the light wave properties might become essential. Not sure if it's true - it would be interesting to experiment with different kinds of dust. I'm surprised there so many guesses about that, and so few professional reviews.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 1:30 PM   #15

It seems to be a feature of built-in flashes on small cameras that these spots appear in flash pictures. It's due to the flash being nearly on-axis, so reflections off off dust particles come directly back the lens. Larger cameras usually have the flash further from the lens axis so the dust is illuminated more from the side.

-jeff-
jrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 3:04 AM   #16

Yes, most likely it's dust reflecting the flash beam. The question was about the spots' structure. Here is the link again (click the pics to enlarge them):

http://hommie.narod.ru/spots.htm

If you take a closer look at pedro nuno's pic, you'll see it too - a sort of kernel surrounded by circles. The question was what is this structure?
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote