Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:03 PM   #1

Default Canon SX30 IS - FUNC SET not working right

I've just gotten my Canon SX30, and my first impression is that the MACRO feature SUCKS.

But that's not my problem. According to the Owner's Manual, many of the quick set feature are accessed by pressing the FUNC SET button. However, when I pressed that button, all I can access is the resolution setting (image size & compression). Features like White Balance aren't there.

For example ISO, supposedly I press FUNC SET, and then move through a menu to find the ISO, as an example, or the White Balance, etc.... But I don't find those features.

I'm sure the solution is simply, I just haven't pushed the right button in the right way, or whatever, but for the moment, I'm stumped.

Also, as a secondary point of interest, could someone explain the MACRO function. Does it only work at extreme wide angle? I keep pushing the MACRO button but nothing happens. I did manage to take some close up photos, but it was cumbersome to say the least. I couldn't seem to use the zoom at all to frame the image. And when I tired to move the camera back and zoom in, it couldn't resolve the focus.

Again, I assume this is related to some aspect of the camera that I simply haven't learn how to use properly. But the MACRO function as my current understanding of it is, is pretty worthless.

Concentrate on the primary question above for now. Again, I assume the solution is simple, but, like I said, there is some button I'm not familiar with that I need to press to get at these features.

I don't particularly need them, I'm simply trying to figure out the operation of my new camera.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:56 AM   #2

What mode do you have the camera in- program,manual,auto etc... as I suspect the function button will be limited in certain modes- especially auto.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 6:01 PM   #3

I'm pretty sure I was in AUTO. Again, I just got the camera, I've had it less than a week, so I'm learning all the ins and outs of it.

I have not having a printed manual, it is not that easy trying to move through the PDF file.

I'll keep reading the manual, and see if I can come up with something.

Steve/bluewizard
bluewizard is offline   Reply With Quote