Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 12, 2011, 2:08 PM   #41

I want close up like this without having to be on top of the animal. This pheasant was having a tough few weeks. He kept pecking on our home windows making it sound like someone was banging on the windows. I took this photo standing and looking out of a window practically 10 feet away from this pheasant. Thus the dirty spots you see...My windows were dirty.
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 3:49 PM   #42

Hi Lotuslady- the 70-300mm lens you have roughly equates to 480mm in "old school" speak,whereas the SX40HS has 840mm in "old school".
You would need a 500mm lens to give you the equivalent zoom of 800mm "old school" on your SLR- and it would have to be image stabilised.... a pricey affair..!!
These figures are assuming you have a Canon SLR with an APS-C sized sensor.

Of course you do have the option of tele-converters for SLR lenses/bodies,but you will lose some light going this route and only increasing the negative effects of no image stabiliser.

Last edited by SIMON40; Nov 12, 2011 at 3:52 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 9:03 PM   #43

Simon40 - Thank you SO much that made a lot of sense to me. Yes, I do have a Canon SLR...It is a Canon 40D. Yes, the lenses for the Canon are quite pricey indeed. What a bit of rubbish that I can pick up an entire camera for much less than getting a new lens and be able to shoot at greater distances. I really appreciate you taking the information down to my level.
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:48 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post

Hi, I'm impressed with your photos, I bought this camera just two days ago so I'm just starting to learn. One question, these photos comes straight from the camera or you use any software? It's amazing the colours of your photos, any recommendation? Thanks!
charmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:53 AM   #45

a little post process for color because i set the color to neutral

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 1:06 PM   #46

Quote:
a little post process for color because i set the color to neutral
^^^

Wow slyfox that is an amazing shot!
I just got this camera yesterday and so far have been neutral about it.

I liked the picture quality but, I am having trouble getting close up shots.
Basically, if I focus on a subject and zoom in, to some extent the close up is fine (fills up 50% of the screen) but, if I go further it loses focus and I get the yellow window with "!" mark. Instead it tries to focus on the back ground

I was using the camera in P mode with "Macro" setting. What is it I am doing wrong? Because I see some amazing closeup shots here....

I had an Olympus SP800UZ before this and didn't have problems zooming in on any subject i.e. flower, leaves etc. The reason I opted for the canon was because its pretty good in low light conditions (read indoors) and the Olympus sucks at that!

Also, what is the flash button on the left side for? Is it supposed to pop open the flash automatically, because it doesn't work for me....I have to manually pop-out the flash.

Maybe this is not the thread to discuss this....but, since this is for the SX40HS and is a popular thread...I decided to post here! Moderators can move this post if required....

I look forward to your replies and once I am able to solve these issues, I will go ahead and post some pictures of my own

Thanks in advance to your replies.

Last edited by anish_s; Nov 13, 2011 at 1:09 PM.
anish_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:24 PM   #47

Hi- anish s- The flash button is for the different type of flash modes,once you have raised it manually. You need to zoom in on your subject PRIOR to focusing- and bear in mind that once you start to use the zoom in macro mode,you have to start moving away from your subject- it won't focus with the lens very close to the subject at full zoom- though you can almost touch the lens with your subject at wide angle. Try setting your focus area to centre also- targeting your subject...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:34 PM   #48

Quote:
I was using the camera in P mode with "Macro" setting. What is it I am doing wrong? Because I see some amazing closeup shots here....
you need a close up filter for macro photography

Last edited by Slyfox; Nov 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 5:08 AM   #49

Quote:
you need a close up filter for macro photography

And what filter are you using?
charmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:23 AM   #50

Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Exposure 0.04 sec (1/25)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 81 mm