Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 20, 2004, 4:33 PM   #1

Default Image quality alone~ 4x6 and 5/7 ~ are A80 and A70 equal?

Hi! I'm new to this forum and have been reading thousands (feels like it) of reviews on Epinions, Amazon, Circuit City, and various websites trying to decide on which digital camera to buy.

I am looking for very sharp, clear pictures with vivid colors. I only plan on printing 4x6 and occasionally 5x7. I've read the differences between A70 and A80. The swivel LCD on the A80 doesn't matter to me, nor does the better movie mode on the A70. My only priority is to have excellent images in the picture sizes I print. I take lots of photos of my toddler, both indoors and out.

My question is... in size 4x6 and 5x7 is the image quality equal in both models? (I realize the A80 is probably better for larger pictures, 8x10, but I never print that big).

Thanks so much! I want to order something this week and I'm driving myself crazy spending so much time reading reviews and not finding the answer to my question.

AZMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2004, 7:09 PM   #2

Both cameras are great, so It's a hard choice.

The swiveling LCD on the A80 didn't matter to me either- before i bought it. Now I'll NEVER buy a camera without it. I mean it.

I too read through a couple of thousands of reviews before I decided on the A80, and from what I've learned the image quality of the two cameras is very similar, with a "+" on the A80 for the extra megapixel. My guess is that you'll be happy with whatever choice you make.

You can get the A80 for $359 or less, and the A70 for $329 or less. I myself would pay an extra 30 bucks and go for the A80, oh wait - i did!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=AN2tYIqAU6!-1262576435?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=y es&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&shs=a80

here's my A80 sample pictures:

http://members.chello.se/uz/canon.htm

good luck!
Inkyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2004, 1:04 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I decided to go ahead and spend a little more to get the A80. I figure it doesn't hurt to have the extras on that model. I got a great deal from Costco~ the camera along with an accessory kit (charger, batteries, and case) and of course I had to buy a 256 CF card. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive! Thanks again for the advice.

AZMom is offline   Reply With Quote