Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:08 PM   #11

At the risk of adding confusion, I would also note that if you edit in any program or format then save or export as a jpeg, you should export the resulting image file to a new location or with a new name. You do not want to overwrite the file that came from your camera, as that is the version with the best original data. Think of it as your negative. You will never be able to get more information than is stored in that original file, no matter what format you work or save in, but at least you can always revert to the original if you need to start over.
requa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:36 PM   #12

there is no compression involved in tif or psd, so no loss. If you'd take the time to learn why jpeg is a lossy kind of compression and how it works you might be able to understand what these guys are trying to tell you.
jimmybivona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 2:07 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaschiro View Post
You seem to know what you are talking about...I am just a newbie at this!!! are you saying that the jpeg, opening, viewing and closing will cause a degrading of the image...I just for the heck of it I did take a jpeg and convert to tiff and I was able see on window file manager, did not know that it would do that!!! which is the most lossy the tiff or the pds?

Kas
No, opening, viewing and closing will not degrade the image. Only re-saving the image will do so.

TIF and PSD are loss-less formats. You can save as many times as you like without any image degradation.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by requa View Post
At the risk of adding confusion, I would also note that if you edit in any program or format then save or export as a jpeg, you should export the resulting image file to a new location or with a new name. You do not want to overwrite the file that came from your camera, as that is the version with the best original data. Think of it as your negative. You will never be able to get more information than is stored in that original file, no matter what format you work or save in, but at least you can always revert to the original if you need to start over.
That I understand...My camera is a Canon sx30is and the only output is jpeg I generally use the 14 or 7 mp images. What I do is I save the original to a psd/tiff and edit that and then I copy the edit version to a jpeg and save that with a different file name IE, edit image.jpeg. On most of my files I do not print...I mostly put them on line or email them to somebody. It is much easier to show people my work on line or my tablet then print them I would not have the storage for all of the prints. Now that I know the difference between jpeg/psd and tiff I will use them accordingly. Since I am retired all I have to do is learn and that is the fun of digital photography. all of my editing programs are abobe and I have all of the programs, but my favorite is CS5 extended. My plugins are from NIC and they are great for editing, especially ISO noise.
My thanks to everybody that chimed to expain to this old guy what they know...if you don't ask you don't get!!
Kas
Kaschiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 4:01 AM   #15
Banned

Hmmm, how about using an image converter to convert the lossy jpeg file to no lossy psd image, this is the only solution I can offer.
HIllaryKeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:54 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIllaryKeller View Post
Hmmm, how about using an image converter to convert the lossy jpeg file to no lossy psd image, this is the only solution I can offer.
OK -- I've had enough of this.

I've removed multiple posts and banned multiple users in the past month or so that have joined the forums for what appears to be the sole purpose of promoting products from the company that you just linked to, including posts from two different member names in this thread alone within the past two weeks (first posts here were promoting products from that company, and they were posting from different IP address locations).

So, I'm now filtering all references to that company (company name will be replaced by *****), in all past and future posts, so that spammers don't keep joining our forums using different member names, IP Addresses and e-mail addresses to continue promoting that company's products.

I don't do that kind of thing very often. But, when a company uses others to promote them in forums like this one (usually hiring so called SEO firms to increase their visibility, but sometimes company employees are also guilty), and continues to do so after multiple users promoting them have been banned, and multiple posts have been removed; I'm going to take stronger measures to discourage any future spam promoting that same company.

That way, they "get the message" that we do not allow our forums to be used for commercial purposes (promoting their company or products in our forums).

So, we are no longer permitting any links to that company, even from a satisfied customer, and have now filtered that company name in all previous posts made here, too.

We don't appreciate spammers here (and that also goes for employees of SEO firms trying to posts links to companies they've been hired to promote).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote