Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:03 PM   #1

Default convert jpeg to psd to edit??

I know that jpeg is very lossy!!!! My camera output is only jpeg....I know that psd is not that lossy...So when I download my jpeg's to the pc, when I go to edit the image is it best to reformat the image to psd make all the changes I want to and then convert back to jpeg for storage/printing..I know to store the psd's takes up a lot of room....the other question is, how many times can I change jpeg to psd and how much degradation will there be to the original jpeg image. I know that raw is best, so I have to work with what I got.
Can someone shed some light on this subject.
Marvy
Kaschiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2011, 4:43 PM   #2
Super Moderator

What application are you using to edit?

Many of the better tools are now parametric and do not edit or re-save the original jpg.

Lightroom for example, so no conversion is required.

If you are using PS then stay in PSD until the very end - print or web output via "Export" or "Save as". Storage is cheap, image quality is precious.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:55 AM   #3

I would agree with peripatetic. Don't sacrifice quality for storage space.

You will only get a PSD format when you open your file and edit it in Photoshop. Once you are finished editing your photo, you can then save it to what ever format that you would like to. I would just set your camera for the highest output and then open it on your editing program and save it on the highest setting possible in the format that you would like to save in. You will not be able to open up a PSD in anything but Photoshop, so keep that in mind.

I hope that helped a bit.

Testudo
testudoaubreii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:40 AM   #4

If you edit with photoshop then save the work photoshop will use its native psd file type as this save all the information from the editing, you could save as a tiff which also keeps all the editing info.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 9:59 PM   #5

I do use ps cs5 for my editing...it has been my experience that if you start with jpeg you end up with jpeg. Unless you are using layers then you can close out with psd and nothing else until you merge down, then you can save it in anything you want. My question is if you take a jpeg convert to psd and start your editing you will get a better job of editing because nothing is lost. but if I keep the file in jpeg and every time I do something something data is lost from the file. Because my camera output is only jpeg I shoot in the highest mp that I can get, in my case it is 14 mp. which is about 3-5 mb of file size and when I convert to psd that file goes to about 30mb which is 10x the size. and if I store that in psd I will eat up a lot of disk space. So my reasoning for changing the format to psd is get better editing and when I am thru I can convert to jpeg and if I have to reedit back to psd with out any loss. Am I on the right track with my thinking.
Kas
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:52 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaschiro View Post
I do use ps cs5 for my editing...it has been my experience that if you start with jpeg you end up with jpeg. Unless you are using layers then you can close out with psd and nothing else until you merge down, then you can save it in anything you want. My question is if you take a jpeg convert to psd and start your editing you will get a better job of editing because nothing is lost. but if I keep the file in jpeg and every time I do something something data is lost from the file. Because my camera output is only jpeg I shoot in the highest mp that I can get, in my case it is 14 mp. which is about 3-5 mb of file size and when I convert to psd that file goes to about 30mb which is 10x the size. and if I store that in psd I will eat up a lot of disk space. So my reasoning for changing the format to psd is get better editing and when I am thru I can convert to jpeg and if I have to reedit back to psd with out any loss. Am I on the right track with my thinking.
Kas
Not quite. Every time you SAVE the file as a JPG you lose data due to compression. It doesn't matter how much work you do between opening it and saving it. If you have to shoot JPG and cannot shoot RAW then open the JPG file and from then on do everything in PSD. That should be your image from then on.

When you finally need to output a JPG file for export to a website or for sending to a lab for printing, then do it as an export from the PSD file, but keep the PSD as your master image.

Disk space is very cheap, buy yourself some more.

Once again, consider using Lightroom, because it doesn't need PSD files, and there is never a loss of quality because the original file is never overwitten. Instead a set of instructions of things to do to the original file is held in a database.

If you are determined to use PS for all your editing then just accept that if you want to keep the image quality then you need to use PSD as your file format. TIF doesn't save any space over PSD.

Unfortunately you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited by peripatetic; Nov 22, 2011 at 4:28 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 5:54 AM   #7

yes as above disk space is very cheap
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:36 PM   #8

So I guess what you guys are trying tell me no matter what adobe product I use that file will be edited in psd and will always be psd and unless I save it in an other format and if I want view it I must use adobe product. and if I want to view it by any other means I should make a copy of that file and save it as a jpeg. If I convert to jpeg I will compress the file and lose data. So if want print it in psd I have to use adobe compatible software that will print it without losing data, other wise convert to jpeg just once for printing. So with that in mind what other print programs are out there that will recognize psd other than adobe and are free
KAS
Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:52 PM   #9
Super Moderator

?

No!

PSD is an Adobe format, but TIFF or DNG are open. You can save as TIFF if you really want to.

But I don't understand what you are worried about. You don't have to use PS at all, if you use programs like LR, Aperture, or Bibble they never change your original JPG, so you don't lose any quality, instead they save information about what changes to apply to the original file.

When you want to print or output to a website then you export the file for that purpose. If you just want to browse your images you can do that in those programs, or if you stick with PS you can use Bridge to browse.

Just saving a final image as JPG you won't notice any loss of quality, but you will if you repeatedly save, close then open a single image.

Last edited by peripatetic; Nov 22, 2011 at 1:55 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 4:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
?

No!

PSD is an Adobe format, but TIFF or DNG are open. You can save as TIFF if you really want to.

But I don't understand what you are worried about. You don't have to use PS at all, if you use programs like LR, Aperture, or Bibble they never change your original JPG, so you don't lose any quality, instead they save information about what changes to apply to the original file.

When you want to print or output to a website then you export the file for that purpose. If you just want to browse your images you can do that in those programs, or if you stick with PS you can use Bridge to browse.

Just saving a final image as JPG you won't notice any loss of quality, but you will if you repeatedly save, close then open a single image.
You seem to know what you are talking about...I am just a newbie at this!!! are you saying that the jpeg, opening, viewing and closing will cause a degrading of the image...I just for the heck of it I did take a jpeg and convert to tiff and I was able see on window file manager, did not know that it would do that!!! which is the most lossy the tiff or the pds?

Kas