Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Nov 23, 2011, 6:30 PM   #1

Default Elph 500 HS touch limitations

I'm interested in buying an Elph 500 HS to replace my SD1300 IS (pocket camera to complement my T1i). I have no experience with cameras controlled by touch screen interface, and have a rather specific question about the sensitivity of the interface.

I have used my SD1300 in a Dicapac pouch for casual underwater photography. If you're not familiar with this pouch, it is essentially a heavy-weight Zip-Loc bag with extra leakage protection and a fixed lens cover. It's not elegant, but it works and hasn't leaked on me. If I try to use it with a touch screen camera interface like that of the 500 HS, will I still be able to operate the touch screen through the extra plastic layer? Should I expect different results above and below water level (i.e., does the touch screen have a temperature element involved)?

Inability to use the pouch is not a deal-breaker for me, as this looks like a good camera based on the fast lens and other more advanced specs and underwater photography is only an occasional thing. It looks like I'll be able to find it for slightly under $200, so it's not a bad deal. Any other thoughts or warnings?

Thanks,
Dan
requa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:16 AM   #2

Hi- assuming the SD1300 IS still works- why not just use that for your underwater escapades and use the Elph 500 HS for everything else...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 2:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Hi- assuming the SD1300 IS still works- why not just use that for your underwater escapades and use the Elph 500 HS for everything else...
Good thought, Simon. My usual plan is to buy a new camera (or lens, or flash, or whatever), then sell the old one to help defray the cost so I feel like I upgraded instead of getting something new. But keeping the SD1300 is a possibility I hadn't even considered, but it may make sense given how little I'd likely get for it.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 8:48 PM   #4

I bought the 500 HS and it arrived today. I tried putting it in my underwater pouch, and the touch controls work just fine through the plastic layer. In fact, it's easier to operate the touch control system than the physical buttons on my SD 1300 IS. I did run into a physical problem, though. My Dicapac has a housing the lens protrudes into. Since the lens of the 500 HS protrudes farther than that of the SD 1300, it bumped the end plate of the housing, resulting in an error that caused the camera to shut down (safety feature). I finally figured out that I could insert an O-ring as a spacer to back the camera body out the fraction of an inch involved, and it now appears to be working. This is close enough for the occasional use I anticipate. Off to the hardware store for a more appropriate size of O-ring!
Dan