Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1

Default Canon SX230HS Clicking Sound

Hello,

I received a Canon Powershot SX230HS for Christmas. I noticed that when the camera is on and if I move it up, down, or sideways, I hear a soft "click-click" sound coming from the camera. If the camera is on and not being moved, there is no noise coming from it.

Is this noise normal? It's not loud but enough for me to hear it. I'm sort of a newbie at this, and I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions you can offer me. I tried searching the Canon Knowledge Base and FAQ on their site but couldn't find anything that addresses my problem

Last edited by Ladyblue627; Dec 26, 2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: to add additional information
Ladyblue627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2011, 4:13 PM   #2

I had a similar sound on a Canon S3is(I had a couple...!),an S5is and surprise-surprise,on my SX40HS also..! My guess it this is perfectly normal as I had no issues with any of them and maybe has something to do with the image stabiliser... maybe..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:28 PM   #3

G'day LB

Suggestion ~ check the autofocus settings .. you may have it set to "AFC - continuous autofocus" for moving subjects, rather than "AFS -single autofocus" before taking the photo in the 'normal' way

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:32 PM   #4

Thank you for your replies. I exchanged the camera and sure enough the clicking sound still clicked and I was told it was due to the image stabilizer by Canon's customer service department, and a very knowledgeable Best Buy employee. So now that I know the noise is normal, I can live with it, and the pix are gorgeous.
Ladyblue627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:29 PM   #5

G'day LB

Thanks for letting us know & closing the loop
Hope you enjoy the camera 'heaps & heaps' and when you're ready, show us some of your results

Regards Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:13 PM   #6
BDD

The clicks are normal??? That's not acceptable for me. I have a new s100. It's the IS?

So we have to live with good HD video with clicks??? Ridiculous.

I wonder if this happens with the 5D2 as well. I'm assuming it doesn't with a HD camcorder. What about with smartphones? iPad2/3...?

Disappointed. Then again I bought the s100 mainly for stills.
BDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:39 PM   #7

Digital cameras have moving parts inside. The motors for AF, aperture, IS and zoom will make noise that is likely to be picked up by the built-in mic.

Most of the newer DSLRs like the Canon 5D II, 7D and presumably the 5D III have an input
socket for an external microphone. This solves the problem by moving the mic away
from the camera body.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 3:12 PM   #8
BDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkpix View Post
Digital cameras have moving parts inside. The motors for AF, aperture, IS and zoom will make noise that is likely to be picked up by the built-in mic.

Most of the newer DSLRs like the Canon 5D II, 7D and presumably the 5D III have an input
socket for an external microphone. This solves the problem by moving the mic away
from the camera body.
So are you saying that even with DSLR's like the 5D2 and 7D...if we use the built-in mic...we'll still pickup "camera noises'? That all the video clips online using such DSLRs were done with external (off camera) mics?

What about smartphones, iPads and HD camcorders? We've all seen (and heard) video clips done by all 3...no odd sounds (e.g. clicking...as on P&S cameras).
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:04 PM   #9

[QUOTE=BDD;1291202]So are you saying that even with DSLR's like the 5D2 and 7D...if we use the built-in mic...we'll still pickup "camera noises'? /QUOTE]

Yes. The electret mic built into the camera is very sensitive. It will hear the mechanical
noises in the camera. My T1i doesn't have a mic socket, so I can't use an external mic.
The IS lenses that I use (18-55mm and 18-135mm) are fairly quiet, so the IS noise is
generally not audible. The AF motor makes a terrible noise if you try to use it while
shooting video. The internal mic tends to pick up a lot of wind noise too. This makes
the T1i more-or-less useless for shooting video.

Quote:
That all the video clips online using such DSLRs were done with external (off camera) mics?
You can usually tell when the internal mic has been used. Lots of wind noise,
camera handling noise and various noises from inside the camera.

Quote:
What about smartphones, iPads and HD camcorders? We've all seen (and heard) video clips done by all 3...no odd sounds (e.g. clicking...as on P&S cameras).[
The tiny sensors used in phones are usually used with a fixed aperture lens. Most
of them also have fixed focal length, although I think some of the fancy ones
have got optical zoom these days. Even if they do have AF or aperture motors/actuators, they will be physically small and less likely to make audible noises.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 5:30 PM   #10
BDD

Moral of story. If we plan to use our still cameras for HD video recording...make sure they can accept external mics. That or just buy a HD camcorder. But being that I'll still be buying a 5D3...it looks like I''ll also be investing in a decent external mic like a RODE.

I was so hoping to be using my s100 for HD video recording too (w/o also recording internal mechanical noises). Easy come easy go. It still does take great still photos (for a P&S).

Good to have when you don't feel like lugging around 15-20 pounds of DSLR gear. Assuming the photographic circumstances allow for a P&S with it's more limited capabilities.