Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:58 PM   #1

Default Problem with my new A80

Hi! I just got my new A80 today and I love it but I'm running into a major problem when I try to take pictures of my toddler~ there seems to be quite a delay between when I push the button, the focus locks, and then it finally snaps the picture. I'm sure in actuality it's only a few seconds, but by the time the camera is ready and the picture is taken the moment I'm looking for is lost (the smile is gone and she's looking down or in another direction, etc.). A 15 month old won't pose, lol, so I need to know if there's a way to stop this delay~ basically, when I push the button, I want it to snap the picture, not wait several seconds to lock on the focus.

I can't seem to find the answer in the manual, although I did try changing to a different mode and shooting in continuous mode, but all I got were blurry pictures.

Maybe this isn't a good camera for taking pictures of small kids?

Is there anything I can do to help me get these 'moments' I'm losing?

Thanks!
AZMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2004, 12:44 AM   #2

Push the shutter 1/2 way down to pre-focus. Once you have a focus lock, press it the rest of the way down and take the shot. This is the case for all digicams.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2004, 5:51 AM   #3

AZMom.

You may find it usefull to turn off the AiAF. With this turned on the camera spends far too much time trying to focus and can lead to blurry images.
To turn it off but the camera in record mode and press the menu button and then select the Rec. Menu. You can then select to disable the AiAF.
If you use the camera in AUTO you have no choice and have to put up with the AiAF. Because of this you'll need put it in P or save it as one of your custom settings.

HTH, Mester
Mester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 5:18 AM   #4

The big shutter delay is a common problem for digital cameras (and not only digital), although some cameras are doing better than others. Turning off the red eye reduction, not using macro and telephoto decreases the delay. If you want a really fast camera and the pics quality is not so crucial, try the ones with fixed focus, like Casio EX-S3 with 0.01 sec shutter lag: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_.../exs3_pg4.html
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 1:12 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice! I've tried pressing the shutter half way to prefocus and so far that is working pretty well~ much, much better! I'm going to experiment with turning off the AiAF, too, and see how that compares.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:09 AM   #6

Hi AZ Mom! I have the a80 and also a 19mos. old and 7 mos. old. I really relate to your problem. All the digicams that most folks can afford have this shutter lag. It's because the camera has to write to the memory card first. It's a real pain the a**, though, when you have babies!

I'm taking my first photography course right now. You can actually increase the shutter speed to get a bit faster results (set on M or TV). These are the numbers 125, 250, etc and represent fractions of a second 1/125 and so on. Of course, I also turn off the red eye (I seem to get red eye, anyway, and have to edit it out). If this doesn't work, you can always try giving your little one some Benadryl and snap away (ha, ha!). Good luck!

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:02 PM   #7

LOL! Thanks Amy! That Benadryl does come in handy, doesn't it? Thanks for the tips~ I'm glad to meet someone else with small kids who understands my frustration. I'll try some of your tips! I'm thinking of taking a photography course at the community college, just because it seems overwhelming to someone who has a point-and-shoot background. I'm going to play around with my camera today and try your suggestions.