Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:04 PM   #1

Default New Canon Powershot SX 40 HS Owner with Some Questions...

Hi, Everyone -

I purchased a Canon Powershot SX 40 HS not too long ago and I've noticed that a lot of people here have taken some incredible shots. I've also noticed that a lot of you here have some custom settings; are there any manual settings suggestions ( e.g. dim lighting, macro, action shots, scenery etc.) you guys can give me for a baseline? Automatic shots are nice and all, but I feel I am robbing myself of really capturing the moments.

Thanks for your help.
DigitalOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2012, 5:07 AM   #2

It's very difficult to give you any specific "manual" or "custom" settings- as every different scene and every different lighting situation requires a different setting- sometimes just seconds apart..!
I would suggest buying yourself a Digital Photography book- which will guide you through the ins and outs of different types of photography(landscape/low light/sports etc...) and what kind of settings are required for each. When and where to use aperture priority as opposed to shutter priority and vice-versa etc...
Camera's may differ- but the rules are pretty much the same for shooting- even with film cameras.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:15 AM   #3

In my view... just keep learning from photos at what setting they ware clicked.
use different setting and modes apart from AUTO mode until its not very crucial a particular moment photo and you don't know at what setting it should be clicked.

Some things I follow,
-> In sufficient light then use P mode and select ISO 100 to get most clear photos.
->To click photos of people/background defocus effect use portrait mode that is least aperture setting.

enjoy clicking.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:35 PM   #4

ianoop thanks for the good tips! I just picked up my SX40 yesterday and it is alot of fun so far, its amazing how versatile this camera is. I want to learn everything about this camera.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianoop View Post
In my view... just keep learning from photos at what setting they ware clicked.
use different setting and modes apart from AUTO mode until its not very crucial a particular moment photo and you don't know at what setting it should be clicked.

Some things I follow,
-> In sufficient light then use P mode and select ISO 100 to get most clear photos.
->To click photos of people/background defocus effect use portrait mode that is least aperture setting.

enjoy clicking.

Thanks! Will give your suggestions a try.
DigitalOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:26 AM   #6

Can I use my old Vivitar Auto Thyristor 550FD flash on my SX40 camera?
woodworker40 is offline   Reply With Quote