Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:01 PM   #1

Default Canon GX 1- tried one for the first time.

Had my Canon G 12 with me. Put them side by side, was surprised that there is not a huge difference in size between them.

The GX 1 is a very nice piece of equipment, handles real nice, has a larger sensor...I like it.

But two things...the cost and the fact that no interchangeable lens capability.

Nice camera though.

But think many would rather go to a entry DSLR for the current price.

What do you think ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:24 PM   #2

I have one.
It's rather like a replacement for the Fuji X100 with stunning IQ but pedestrian autofocus compared to m4/3 cameras like my Lumix G3.
The lens and sensor are really good but overall it's a not very exciting package but just what I wanted.
nippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:33 PM   #3

G'day all

Thoughts ^ to one side ... it seems to me that this camera like other small camera-body designs like it, are aimed at/for keen 'togs who, for 1001 reasons do not want to lug around a big, heavy dSLR, but who do want to take damn good pictures

I can see many people [airline travellers for example] for whom this small but very functional camera would suit down to the ground

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:47 PM   #4

Really impressive bit of kit- if it had a swifter autofocus...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:14 PM   #5

The GX-1 is seriously under rated in my honest opinion.

It's a great camera for the money...

Josh
mrmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 8:05 PM   #6

Default I own the G1X...

... and it is a superb camera for night time, indoor, and vacation photos. But there is one drawback that is annoying. I prefer to shoot photos by looking through an optical viewfinder. The viewfinder on the G1X is partially blocked by the barrel making it difficult for me to frame photographs properly. Fortunately, cropping overcomes most of this.

The quality of the 1.5" sensor is really impressive, particularly for taking nighttime and indoor photos. This is where this camera really shines.

In addition to the viewfinder, there are a couple of other drawbacks. If you're into sports or macro photography, it may be difficult to get good results with this camera.
Fingertips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2012, 3:30 AM   #7

G1X is just a bit larger than G11/G12, but heavier.
this new almost APS-C size sensor, good sharp lens and Digic5 deliver the same (if not better) image quality as 600D/60D/7D.
talking about the size, weight and versatility it should really be compared with 600D/60D/7D coupled with either Sigma 17-70OS or Canon 17-85IS lens. in this case G1x makes a really nice and versatile travel camera, which delivers great IQ, but still less than 1/2 size and weight. also it's a lot quieter and less imposing than a DSLR, also the price is a few hundreds lower.
it's not an action camera for sure, but G-series cameras never were fast - this did not stop people buying them.
lots of people complain about the loss of real macro, but I guess it's not easy to design a relatively small collapsible lens, which covers an almost APS-C image circle and can still focus closer than 20cm - the laws of physics don't allow it, without making a much larger, heavier and more expensive lens.
AF/shooting speed is about the same as my G11, handling is better imho, IQ and low-light performance are much better. I was really impressed by ISO6400 shots OOC.
haven't used it enough time to try all the options, but imo it's a great travel/all-around relatively compact camera and a great companion to a semi-pro/pro DSLR kit.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 7:08 PM   #8

I would very much like to know how it meters the burst mode. Many point and shoots just slow down the shutter speed for low light, which would not work for me. If it kicked up the shutter speed to even 1/50, I would be interested. It still amazes me that you can't adjust any shooting parameters in burst mode. The image quality is quite excellent.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:13 PM   #9

G'day all

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
I would very much like to know how it meters the burst mode. .... It still amazes me that you can't adjust any shooting parameters in burst mode..
@PB > I am curious to find some more info > can you elaborate upon your thinking??

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:46 PM   #10

Ozzie- the standard "continuous" shooting mode on the G1-X is between 1.6 and 1.9 fps(jpeg),depending on which review you look at- but there is a "burst" mode of 4.5fps- selectable as a scene mode.
On the former,standard parameter adjustment applies- however on the latter,no adjustment is possible- much like the similar mode on Canon's SX40HS's burst mode.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote