Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Default What mode is best way to improving shooting skill when I use canon 300HS?

What mode is best way to improving shooting skill when I use canon 300HS?

Last edited by charleslee1984; Apr 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM.
charleslee1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2012, 5:33 PM   #2

G'day Charles

Good question mate .... a bit like asking 3 accountants for their views on the economy > you'll get 6 answers

Not knowing anything about you or your skill levels, I will make no presumtions

1- many beginners start on Auto - and there is nothing wrong with auto, after all most vehicles these days are automatics and they go quite okay. The 'however' is that in auto mode, the camera maker hides many interesting features

2- from auto you can go to Program - Program is auto 'plus' a number of useful additions. The camera now shows you many of its exposure settings in use, and all of the menus become available > and you can alter the settings if/when you want to. ie- a great way to do general day-to-day photography

3- from Program you can either go to Aperture mode or Shutter mode ... it depends upon what sort of images you are after. Many 'togs doing landscapes and after Depth of Field go Aperture mode so that they can select the appropriate lens setting: Many action-packed 'togs will go Shutter mode so that they can get the best sharpness as the action takes place before them

4- then there's full-Manual mode > where unless you have a good understanding of speeds & apertures and the way they interact, then you 'may' need a parachute in the beginning. [most of us old-buggers from manual-film-camera days are okay here, but newbies need to learn what we learned the hard way all those years ago]

As one of the old-buggers [I'm in my mid 60s], I like to run in Program mode for day-to-day easy-pix, and Aperture mode for other things. My thinking for the latter is that the lens creates the image - and if I can control both the image size [ie- zoom] and the DoF [ie from the aperture] then I have full control of the end result

We'll see what other answers our other mates on-site here have to offer you as well.
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:42 PM   #3

It really depends on what you define as shooting skills....
For example- one day you may to decide to focus on honing your compositional skills- in which case auto may be the best mode- so you can focus(no pun intended)on "what" your shooting above all else.
Another day you may want to play with depth of field- where aperture priority can give a variety of different results. With shutter priority you can create motion effects or play with freezing fast moving subjects. Program I'll use pretty much always in good light with a low iso setting- provided there's nothing moving around too quickly- a good general all-rounder. If I'm going to be shooting indoors,I'll nearly always switch to Manual mode,where I can select the base shutter speed(relative to what I'll be shooting),set the aperture for required depth of field(or wide open for most light gathering ability)- and then adjust the sensitivity (iso) accordingly- and on some camera's an auto iso can be selected,which can prove very useful indeed..!

Your fortunate Charles,that the 300HS actually has Aperture and Shutter priority modes- as many compacts don't- allowing you to experiment and see the various results you can achieve from a variety of settings.

Above all else though- go out and play with your camera- there's no better way to get to know your camera and hone your photographic skills.

Failing that- buy a book...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:43 PM   #4

Thank you for your reply. But I can't find Aperture and Shutter priority modes, could you tell me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
It really depends on what you define as shooting skills....
For example- one day you may to decide to focus on honing your compositional skills- in which case auto may be the best mode- so you can focus(no pun intended)on "what" your shooting above all else.
Another day you may want to play with depth of field- where aperture priority can give a variety of different results. With shutter priority you can create motion effects or play with freezing fast moving subjects. Program I'll use pretty much always in good light with a low iso setting- provided there's nothing moving around too quickly- a good general all-rounder. If I'm going to be shooting indoors,I'll nearly always switch to Manual mode,where I can select the base shutter speed(relative to what I'll be shooting),set the aperture for required depth of field(or wide open for most light gathering ability)- and then adjust the sensitivity (iso) accordingly- and on some camera's an auto iso can be selected,which can prove very useful indeed..!

Your fortunate Charles,that the 300HS actually has Aperture and Shutter priority modes- as many compacts don't- allowing you to experiment and see the various results you can achieve from a variety of settings.

Above all else though- go out and play with your camera- there's no better way to get to know your camera and hone your photographic skills.

Failing that- buy a book...!
charleslee1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:12 PM   #5

They will be labeled Tv and Av if it's like most Canon devices.
PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:27 PM   #6

The Aperture Priority(Av) and Shutter Priority(Tv) is in the menu somewhere- as opposed to a standard mode dial.
I am of course assuming you have a IXUS 300HS and not an ELPH 300 HS- which does NOT have Av and Tv modes...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote