Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Default G1X Burst Mode Question

Like many others, I was amazed at the high price of this camera. On further reflection, I realized it might be perfect for shooting high quality pictures at events where even the sound of a DSLR would be irritating to the audience. I've been making a Panasonic zoom work, but it's a stretch when the ISO gets high. The only function I find dubious on this camera is the burst mode. Do you really have no control over any parameters in this mode? Shutter speed, ISO, white balance, aperture?

Last edited by pboerger; Apr 14, 2012 at 1:46 PM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:21 PM   #2

On the G1-X the "burst" mode(selectable as a scene mode) is 4.5 fps,for 6 frames only- and with no manual adjustment of image parameters.
The standard "continuous" mode,with adjustable parameters is 1.9fps(depending on conditions)- and only 0.7fps with autofocus.
So,not exactly a speed demon...!
Also,disappointingly(though not surprisingly) you cannot get a live view feed whilst utilising the 1.9fps continuous mode OR the 4.5fps burst mode- so tracking a moving subject is left to its little optical viewfinder....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. For me, that would make the burst virtually useless. Too bad. From what I have seen, the camera has wonderful image quality.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:53 AM   #4

Well...it's far from perfect... unless it's "auto" exposure burst mode prioritises shutter speed- and knows exactly what you're trying to shoot,with correct focus point and metering..! And you do have that little viewfinder...!!
But no....given the price... it should have been better.
Speed has never been a "G" series strong suit and with the G1-X,this should have been the time to put that right.
Having great IQ is one thing(and welcome),but so is the ability to capture the image in the first place...
To be honest- it's probably why I wouldn't consider the G1-X for myself- which is a shame,because although many now favour the Pen/Panny G's/NEX's as a "bijou" DSLR alternative,I still feel the "all in one" fixed lens brigade has a place- you just have to get it right... across the board... including moving subjects and Macro...!
Old May 31, 2012, 3:41 PM   #5

Of course the burst mode of a Canon EOS System is going to be more powerful. The G1X is not known for its speed, and I totally agree that for the price (I think it's $799 new), the max burst rate should be much better.

At that price I would just go for a Canon EOS 60D, with a burst 5.3 FPS
(high-speed), which is Approx. 58 JPEG or 16 RAW files. That will kill any G-Series.

I just read an awesome article on this actually from Canon's blog.

Understanding and Comparing Canon Burst Rates
macuser88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 4:09 PM   #6

Just think,the "old" 40D could manage 6 fps continuously for 120+ jpeg frames (with fast shutter speed set)...!!!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:24 AM   #7

I posted on a Canon forum to get information on the burst mode. The consensus was it's a total crap shoot with the camera controlling the parameters. The only way it makes sense is that Canon crippled the G1X so it wouldn't compete with its DSLRs. I would have purchased the G1X with a decent burst mode, but went with another high level point and shoot that fires RAW at 5 fps with autofocus and complete manual control for one third the money. Go figure.