Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 7, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1

Default Canon SX40HS EVF

I bought a SX40HS because I'm really tired of lugging around my digital rebel with 80-400 lens to get wildlife and bird pics.

I have a very hard time with yhe EVF, particularly looking for/at birds in brush or bushes. I recognize that my hand-eye coordination isn't the best - have problems with binoculars too.

Anyway, the EVF view is significantly less than the view finder on my rebel.

Any suggestions? I'm almost ready to give up and go to the gym so I can carry the BIG lens.

Thanks ....
Tish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2012, 5:15 PM   #2

I take it you've set the dioptre adjuster..?
But yes- the EVF is considerably smaller than a DSLR...!
What may help to locate a subject (if you're not already doing it) is to keep the other eye open- and once you've spotted the subject,zoom in- as opposed to some who zoom first then struggle to locate a subject for obvious reasons.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 6:54 PM   #3

Hi Tish,

You may already have noticed this, but if not...located to the right, near the thumbgrip and above the review button, is a button marked with a small rectangle with small arrows pointing away from it. When using the zoom, and then pressing this button, you quickly zoom out, and thus getting a wider view again, without actually zooming out physically. As you release the button, the camera automatically resumes its former zoom. Personally, I find this very useful when finding the object or subject again. With this much zoom, it's quite easy to accidently loosing it due to a slight shake or just zooming in. I have tried this when photographing birds in bushes, trees and in a cove, and have gotten really great results.

Good luck with your SX40. =)

/T.J.
T.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2012, 7:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I take it you've set the dioptre adjuster..?
But yes- the EVF is considerably smaller than a DSLR...!
What may help to locate a subject (if you're not already doing it) is to keep the other eye open- and once you've spotted the subject,zoom in- as opposed to some who zoom first then struggle to locate a subject for obvious reasons.
Good suggestion. I'll try it. Thanks.
Old May 8, 2012, 7:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
Hi Tish,

You may already have noticed this, but if not...located to the right, near the thumbgrip and above the review button, is a button marked with a small rectangle with small arrows pointing away from it. When using the zoom, and then pressing this button, you quickly zoom out, and thus getting a wider view again, without actually zooming out physically. As you release the button, the camera automatically resumes its former zoom. Personally, I find this very useful when finding the object or subject again. With this much zoom, it's quite easy to accidently loosing it due to a slight shake or just zooming in. I have tried this when photographing birds in bushes, trees and in a cove, and have gotten really great results.

Good luck with your SX40. =)

/T.J.
I'd seen this in the manual, but hadn't tried it. Thanks for the reminder and suggestion. :-)