Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 14, 2012, 7:03 AM   #1

Default Canon SX40HS Shutter lag

Hi all:
I'm new here, but have been reading Steve's Digicams for a number of years.
I recently bought the Canon SX40HS camera. I still have a week to return it if I don't like the camera. I previously had a Panasonic FZ18, that I like very much, but wanted to upgrade to a camera with a longer zoom.
I am not a professional photographer, but just an average person who enjoys taking pictures at baseball games, and kids sports, and also when traveling, and just general usage such as taking still images of people.
I bought this camera, because of the reviews I've seen, and I saw where it had some shutter lag, but didn't realize how bad it would be in Auto mode.
I am using a class 6 Sandisk card right now, and was wondering if a higher speed card would correct the shutter lag.
I mainly just want to be able to pick up the camera, and take pictures in Auto mode, but the shutter lag is making it difficult.
The pictures that I have taken so far show good quality, and I would like to keep the camera if I could do something simple to reduce the shutter lag.
I sure would appreciate it if somebody here can offer some advice.
ezspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2012, 4:14 AM   #2

By shutter lag- I assume that you're including AF time also- which is indeed quite slow in "Auto" mode.
Switch to Program or one of the semi-auto (aperture and shutter priority) modes and select your own area for AF- centre seems the logical choice for most situations.
You can also select the AF area size if your chosen subject is in a cluttered spot..!
These changes should improve the shooting speed a bit for you.
However- if your gripe is the standard shot to shot time in single shot mode,then you're kinda stuck with it- as it's typical of most Canon non DSLR camera's- quite pedestrian..!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2012, 5:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
By shutter lag- I assume that you're including AF time also- which is indeed quite slow in "Auto" mode.
Switch to Program or one of the semi-auto (aperture and shutter priority) modes and select your own area for AF- centre seems the logical choice for most situations.
You can also select the AF area size if your chosen subject is in a cluttered spot..!
These changes should improve the shooting speed a bit for you.
However- if your gripe is the standard shot to shot time in single shot mode,then you're kinda stuck with it- as it's typical of most Canon non DSLR camera's- quite pedestrian..!!
Thanks for the reply Simon.
Yes, I'm including AF in "Auto" mode.
I just tried your suggestion about switching to Program mode, and that does help quite a bit.
On the other hand I'm pretty happy with the image quality of the camera, and even though I probably won't use it much to take videos I am really happy with that quality also. I took a video from behind a glass door today while it was pouring rain, and if somebody didn't know I was behind the glass they wouldn't realize that I wasn't standing out in the rain.
I'm the type of person who learns by doing, and not from reading a manual so I guess I'm going to have to keep on trying different settings, and such to see what they do.
Can you tell me if there is any way to shut off the audio so that I don't get background noise on videos that I'm hearing even when the room that I have taken the video in is perfectly quiet?
Again I appreciate your answering me, and if you can offer me any more tips on using this camera please fire away.
I've got less than a week more to decide if I really like this camera, and am comfortable enough to keep it.
Old May 16, 2012, 6:49 PM   #4

You can adjust the recording level to zero if so required.
Rotate the mode dial to movie setting,then press menu- and scroll down to "movie audio"- then press the "func/set" button.
In the mic level tab,switch to manual(using left/right controller),then move down to "level" tab- and using left/right controller set the audio level as required- extreme left if you want no soundtrack.
Old May 16, 2012, 8:38 PM   #5

Thanks again. How about the wind filter should I set that to ON?
A question about this forum.. Are e-mails supposed to be sent when there is a reply to your post? With both of your replies I received no notification, and happened upon them by stopping by here.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:29 AM   #6

I don't receive e-mail notifications- I just keep looking back here..!
I generally keep the wind filter on- though if you set the record level to zero it won't matter..!
Old May 17, 2012, 7:34 AM   #7

I just figured out how to get e-mail notifications from this forum.
I turned the wind filter on and I've set it to a lower record level, and will try it that way. If I'm still not happy with the noise I'll set it to zero per your instructions.
I'm still not quite satisfied with the shutter lag as I was hoping to use this camera in the simplest way possible in AUTO mode even though your suggestion to use in Program mode helped a little bit.
Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by ezspirit; May 17, 2012 at 8:17 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 9:30 AM   #8

Whilst in "program" mode- set the iso to "auto"- so you'll effectively have an "auto" mode with faster autofocus...
However- if you're still not satisfied and want more speed,maybe look at the speedy (in all departments) Panasonic FZ-150.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:09 PM   #9

Thanks for hanging in there with me Simon.
I've set the camera to Program mode, and the ISO to auto, and will try to take some pictures outdoors tomorrow.
Funny that you should mention the Panasonic FZ-150 as I went out to look for one earlier today. There are none to be found in some of the stores here so I can't even buy one with the option to return it if I don't like it. It seems like most reviews I've found for the Canon also mention the Panasonic.
There are things I like about the Canon so that's why I'm torn about returning it.
Have you tried the FZ-150 at all?
By the way I signed up to get e-mail notification, but none have come so I'll continue to check back here for your posts.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:15 PM   #10

By the way Simon, I was just looking through all the Canon threads and found this post from you.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...zoom-demo.html
Those are super shots, and the more I look at those boats the more I think I'm crazy for even thinking about returning the SX40HS.
I sent an e-mail to Canon yesterday, and received an answer today. I mostly wanted to see if they could send me a pocket sized user manual like the one I got with my Panasonic a few years ago. The day I bought the Canon I downloaded the user manual, but as you know it's quite a number of pages to print. I use Adobe Acrobat Standard so I'm going to try to eliminate some pages so I can print it.
Here's their answer:
Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding your PowerShot SX40 HS camera. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
To obtain sharp, accurate images, the shutter button must be pressed halfway to allow the camera to meter and focus. When focus has been achieved, the camera may beep or show a light indicator next to the viewfinder. At that point, the shutter should be depressed fully to take the picture. A BUSY message will appear as data is being written to the memory card.
The delay you've described should decrease when this procedure is used. The delay cannot be completely eliminated, and may increase if the camera has trouble achieving focus or locking the exposure or if the battery power is low. This delay may also increase if the flash is used as the flash needs time to recharge between shots.
Unfortunately, hard copy manuals are no longer being produced. The instruction manual can be printed from your Digital Camera Solution Disk. Please insert the disk as you normally would and choose CUSTOM INSTALL. Ensure you put a check in the box next to the manual.
Canon is committed to the world community and the belief that we are building a better world for future generations. In an effort to be a more green company and better protect our environment, Canon no longer offers the small printed manuals with our PowerShot cameras. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
You can also save the .PDF files to your computer to view. You may also consider saving the file to a CD or thumb drive to have printed at your local print shop. The user manual can be downloaded and printed from our Web site once the newer models are updated:
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer
1. In the first menu, please select product category.
2. In the second menu, choose your series camera.
3. In the third menu, choose your model.
4. Click BROCHURES & MANUALS.
5. Click the manual and follow the instructions.
Once the file opens, you will be able to save it to your computer. Please note that Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the PDF files. This software can be downloaded from the Adobe Web site:
www.adobe.com<http://www.adobe.com/
I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your PowerShot SX40 HS camera. Thank you for choosing Canon.