Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:38 PM   #11

So alamosimp... your conclusions...?
"My colours" off- or on with sharpness right down and all else at default...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:22 PM   #12

I just did some high iso shots in my living room. No color is a noise improvement over the default color setting with no difference in the color tone from what I can tell. A higher level of sharpening is a definite no, no when it comes to noise.

My default setting will be with the color turned off. How about you. Have you come to any conclusions.

By the way it is real cool to be corresponding with someone from Wales. I have a number of ancestors from Wales.
alamosimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:53 AM   #13

After trying quite a number of comparisons on my SX40hs- I think I'll stay in custom mode,with sharpness right down and all else at default- which definitely seems to produce the cleanest images.
Perhaps your Digic4 processor and my Digic5 has a different take on the level of sharpness etc at what it considers "default".
Thank you for making me play around with the "my colours" settings and squeezing even better IQ out of my SX40hs.
Here's a postcard from Wales...
Attached Images

Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:04 AM   #14

Well to be honest I probably won't stop playing for awhile. I will be comparing your settings with the no color settings. I would guess that in a company as big as Canon different engineering groups get to interpret/tweek how their camera project processes images. KInd of like getting in a Ford car. The gauge and switch layouts should be reasonably close form vehicle to vehicle but never are.

What all this does is make me want to step up to more zoom. At 12 mega pixels I need to get used to the idea that I can crop to zoom in more than I think.

Alas my my little town does not have a nice view like in your postcard.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:12 AM   #15

Do you set your own iso. I sometimes let auto tell me what iso it wants to use and then use an iso a step or two lower. I also read that even if the auto iso is say 100 that setting your own iso of 100 can result in clearer pictures.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:48 AM   #16

I always set my iso at the lowest possible setting- however,if I'm going to be shooting subjects where movement is likely (for example,street/candid work or sports), then I'll select an appropriate shutter speed and let the camera's metering and auto iso do the work. The auto iso feature is really a very handy feature- especially in conditions where the light may be changing constantly- and given the pretty decent high iso capability of Canon's baby cmos sensor- it can make live very easy..!
Interesting you mention the curious discrepancy between auto iso 100 and manually selected iso 100. There does seem to be a slight difference in IQ- in favour of the manually selected version....!

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:39 AM   #17

The camera has to process a digital image no matter what. It seem as though when you remove as many variables as you can out of the processing equation then you get a better result. Say it has to average five inputs instead of eight etc..
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:46 AM   #18

Or maybe you get better results because they are fixed inputs and not a variable input. I have no clue but it makes sense to me.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:46 AM   #19

Well, I just had another thread some time back where I was cribbing about the poor noise handling of the SX150 IS.

I experimented with the same settings and found that I can turn out cleaner images.

Here are the settings that I used:

- Contrast Fully up. This is what helped me the most, When I turned the Contrast up, darker areas remain dark and brighter areas remain bright.

Ok, the dynamic range takes a big hit, but I can live with that compared to noise in shadow areas.

My feel is that when there is less contrast, the processor tries to highlight the shadow areas bringing up more noise.

- Sharpness at Medium, Saturation at Medium which are the default levels.

Here are my initial images, which are terribly affected by noise in shadow areas:
Name:  b1 (1).jpg
Views: 181
Size:  79.7 KB
Name:  b1.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  84.7 KB

After Images with the above settings. Not a remarkable improvement, but something which I can live with.

Name:  a1 (1).jpg
Views: 175
Size:  55.0 KB
Name:  a1 (2).jpg
Views: 179
Size:  87.4 KB
Name:  a1.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  178.5 KB
paray2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:43 PM   #20

There is improvement when you look the glass. Have you tried turning the sharpening all of the way down. I have read in an article that the first thing they do with a camera is turn the sharpening down and simon40 is getting good results this way as well. My results are that noise is diminished with sharpening all the way down.

How well do you like the sx150. I have been looking for a bargain camera that may not be the latest technology but takes nice pictures.