Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:10 AM   #1

Default Elph 300 hs Color settings theory

I have been lurking here for a long time and finally thought I would ask a question. I have been getting what I consider less noise on inside pictures if I turn the color settings to off. My theory is that if the camera is not trying to process in more sharpening, contrast or color then it is less likely to introduce noise into the picture. Testing that I have done so far seems to be confirming that. By using custom white balance I am able to get good color rendering with the color setting set to off.

My question is does this theory make sense or is the improvement in noise reduction just my wanting it to have less noise when I compare pictures.

Thank You
alamosimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:31 AM   #2

I've no doubt that the less processing going on- the less propensity for noise- and potentially quicker processing times,thus shot to shot times improve.
I always have the "my colours" set to off on my SX40hs- though you could argue that the "off" position may equate to a given setting on the Custom setting....maybe..?
Perhaps switching off iContrast might help also...?
Setting a custom white balance will potentially yield more accurate colour- and I've yet to see a compact/bridge camera with accurate colour rendition- always ending with a trip to Photoshop...!!

One thing I will add though- "cleaner" images can be had in certain conditions,utilising "custom" settings- by setting the sharpness right down,but leaving all else at default...
I feel most cameras "default" setting is too sharp anyway- especially Panasonic's- though Samsung's tend to err on the soft side at default.

Just for interest- here's a shot taken in "Custom" setting on the SX40hs,with sharpness set right down- and also included is an un-edited crop from the same image.
Nice and smooth,in my opinion,with enough detail and free from artefacts...
Attached Images

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:59 AM   #3

Simon40 I suspect your right on the turning off color. It's probably actually setting the color settings to the center. The engineers are fooling our brains into thinking there is a difference.

I did install chdk and am only using for the superfine setting at this point. I'm not sure what else I could use it for to improve picture quality. I do think using super fine helped with the noise.

I agree about color rendition. All the new different types of light really play havoc with the auto color balance. I am pretty happy with my results so far.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:12 AM   #4

Interestingly,by making me "play" around a bit with the "Custom" settings- I may leave it in custom setting,with sharpness right down...!!!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:24 AM   #5

I'm going to try leaving contrast and saturation in the center and turn down sharpness to get a comparison. I knew I was buying a budget point and shoot when I bought the camera but I am always trying to do better. I'm not much for post processing so I'm going to the cleanest shots I can get.

That is a very nice picture. Now I will have to see how close I can get to that.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:34 AM   #6

Well,the Elph 300hs I believe has the same sensor as my SX40hs- though with a Digic4 processor as opposed to a Digic5- and obviously a different lens.
I'll be interested to hear/see your conclusions...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:44 AM   #7

I need to figure out how to resize my pictures so I can show you some of my results.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:48 AM   #8

Here are two from this morning. We will see if my resizing worked.
Attached Images

Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:16 PM   #9

Two of what I understand are 100 percent crops.
Attached Images

Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:18 PM   #10

Another one from today. Color settings turned off like with the two previous pictures.
Attached Images