Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:46 PM   #1

Default SX40 HS and 2.2X telephoto lens

I am loving my camera. However; I do not like the digital zoom. I am following a nested pair of eagles and want to move in a little closer. So I purchased a 2.2x telephoto (with adapter) to grasp a little more optic range.
Other than using a tripod and daylight, what would be good settings on the camera for say cloudy conditions or sunny conditions?
Wolfhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2012, 4:20 AM   #2

There isn't really a "one size fits all..." setting for any camera- irrespective of subject matter- as there are so many variables.
However- as we're looking at eagles here and not "hypo" finches- we could certainly get away with a slightly slower shutter speed than maybe normal for shooting birds.
In dull conditions- as you're going to be shooting at full zoom,maybe shoot in Aperture priority at its widest setting (f/5.8 on the Canon) and set the iso to "Auto".
If you find the shutter speed dropping too low (the camera doesn't know you're shooting birds..!)- switch to Shutter priority and select at least 1/100th sec- again with the iso set to Auto. If the iso setting isn't climbing too high- select a faster shutter speed (the faster the better) for improved IQ.

Here's a couple of examples-
In the case of the Buzzard it was very bright so I switched it to iA and let the camera get on with it- iso 100,f/8,1/320th sec.
The light was poor in the case of the Finch- so I switched to shutter priority and selected a speed of 1/250th sec (the bare minimum for Finches..!) and iso "Auto". The camera selected an iso of 1000 and f/5.8.
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:42 AM   #3

Default Helpful

Thanks for the reply. It is very helpful. The lower iso on low light would explain the grainy background I get when using iso 400. You did confirm that using aperture priority in low light is helpful.
The issue I have with using the 2.2x optical zoom on top of zoom 35x (840mm) is blurry pictures or halo around the subject in particular low light. Aperture setting helps, but I think I will save the 2.2x for sunny conditions, iso auto, and shutter priority. At least that is worth a try, this evening around sunset.
Attached Images

Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:33 PM   #4

Whilst tele-converters have their uses,they also have their pitfalls- namely a reduction in light getting into the camera and quite often a softening of the image- particularly as you stray off the centre of the image.
Then there's the issue of keeping things steady- even with the SX40's impressive stabiliser- keeping an equivalent of 1848mm steady is tricky... even on a tripod..!!!
Good luck with it...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:31 PM   #5

Here is a pic, without the 2.2x teleconverter (1st one) and with (2nd)
Attached Images

Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:33 PM   #6

Note the 'purple' halo, blury pic with teleconverter. So I would say no, not worth it on the SX40 HS. I had the camera 'anchored' to the car with timer.