Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Default Salvage a great lens

For years I used a Canon EF 35-350 3.5-5.6 lens which I loved. It got dropped and the inside end was dented just enough that it would no longer fit into the camera body. I tried several camera repair places but all said it couldn't be fixed. Is there any residual value (e.g., "for parts"), say in ebay, or is it just beautiful junk?
alflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:28 PM   #2

Can you not just replace the metal lens mount- after all- that part is attached to many EF lenses and should be easy to source...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:13 PM   #3

I took it to a couple of camera repair places and they said it couldn't be fixed. One was the place in midtown NYC where all the pros used to take their gear. (I hate to admit it, but the lens "fell" in 1995.)
Old Jun 28, 2012, 6:10 PM   #4

If it is just the mount part which has suffered the damage,I don't understand why they couldn't replace that part. Perhaps there's some internal damage also..?
The mount part is much the same on many of Canon's lenses (some metal- some plastic).
Note the 4 screws on the rear which hold the mount on.
The electronic contacts are attached via 1 or 2 tiny screws on the side of the mount- and are easily separated for the fitting of a new mount.
I don't see why this should be any different on the 35-350..!
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 7:45 AM   #5

I think part of the problem is that the heave white metal casing that holds the mount part got dented also. (The "drop" occurred in an English cathedral as I passed the lens to my wife. The drop site was, as luck would have it, a stone stairway.) Since you have kindly given me this instruction, I think it is worth a try. Many thanks!