Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 4, 2004, 10:57 PM   #1

Default A80 LCD display, aperture, shutter...HELP ME!!!!

Hi! I'm new to photography, so pls excuse any incorrect terminology and such. I am trying to get my A80 to display aperture/shutter speed settings on the lcd in program mode. The manual says it is capable, but I can't get it to show up. Today, in photography class, I learned how to use the exposure lock feature on my film SLR (canon rebel ti). Is there a way to do this or no (not the exposure lock, but to find out what speed & aperture the camera is set at)?

Am I making sense? I feel confused! Basically, I would like to point my camera at the ceiling and see what it "reads" (fstop & shutter speed), then at the floor, then at my toddler, etc., etc. This reading helps me to learn. OK, I hope I haven't confused you further. Please help out a clueless newbie if you can. Thanks!

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2004, 11:48 PM   #2

Amy, I'm not sure you can see those reading with your digital.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I think you are expecting your digital to give you the same readouts are your SLR.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding.

Janet
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 9:17 AM   #3

Janet,
Yes, that is exactly what I am wondering. Is this camera capable of this? THanks!
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:29 AM   #4

Amy,

try pressing the shutter down halfway to focus, it should display the f-stop and the shutter speed.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 5:21 PM   #5

Mark,
It doesn't do it...should it be? I'm literally sitting here with my camera in front of me. It also doesn't give me these readouts after I've taken the pic, which the manual says it should do (in program mode, anyway). This is driving me crazy!

Amy
Old Feb 5, 2004, 6:59 PM   #6

hmmm is there a display button? are you looking in the viewfinder or the lcd screen? are you in manual mode or auto?
i don't have an A80 but i have a Canon G2 and in auto mode it comes up with the arperture and shutter speed if i hold it halfway down.....and in manual mode i press right or left to change the shutter and up and down to change arperture and it displays wat number i'm at......
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 9:45 PM   #7

In program mode...no readings on either viewfinder or lcd. Of course, manual mode shows the shutter speed & aperture, but I want to see what the readings are in program mode. I'm thinking I guess my camera doesn't have this feature. I tried re-reading steve's review of the camera, but no mention of this. I may have to try to contact Canon to see what they say. I was really hoping this camera had this feature. Oh, well, that and a hotshoe!!!

Amy
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:34 PM   #8

well i'm sry but i'm not sure wat you mean by "program mode"
is it automatic? or portrait?
i don't think my camera has this mode.
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 11:34 PM   #9

Amy,

I can't speak outright for the A80 because, I have an A70 but, I was assuming they would operate the same as far as that went. Perhaps you should visit a camera store and try one of theirs to see if it appears when you press the shutter button down half way. Sorry I couldn't have been of more assistance.

Mark
mkoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2004, 10:12 AM   #10

Well, thanks anyway, everyone! I may try to visit a store and compare. BTW, program mode is kind of like "auto". Not sure if it's a canon thing or not, but it sets the shutter speed & aperture for you. I believe you can manipulate the settings, though (as opposed to auto). Thanks again and have a good weekend everyone...

Amy