Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Default Canon powershot 260HS any thoughts

I searched back to March 2012 and only seen one topic on a earlier model of clicking? So wither two things , camera is awesome, or ghost towned?

If owners of one what are your thoughts on this newest model released?

THINK IT IS A BETTER over other models like the sony hx 9 or 20? ups and downs like to hear?.......
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:48 AM   #2

I've been debating between the Canon 260 and the Powershot 110 HS.

Both have a High Sensitivity CMOS sensor. Both sensors are 1/2.3" in size, both use the Digic 5 Processor. But the 110 has 16.1mp, and the 260 has 12.1mp.

The 260 also has a 20x Zoom (5x for the 110), but it's a larger Camera. Not SLR big, but not as compact as the 110.

I've been looking at both of them very closely and I think I'm going to go with the 110 despite a factor that could prove more beneficial in the 260. Being that they both have the same size image sensor a camera with 16.1mp (110) is squeezing more MegaPixels on the sensor than a camera with 12.1mp (260) and could cause for more noise in the photographs.

What I am hoping for, and have read up on it to confirm it, is that the High Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with the Digic 5 Processor will compensate and make for a clearer picture...like it claims to be able to do.

Having said all of that, if they made an ELPH camera with all the same specs of the 110, but with 12.1mp instead of 16.1mp, I would get that for sure. Due to the larger size of the 260 and the 20x Zoom (which would probably need a tripod to keep stable), I'm going to get the 110 ELPH instead.

PS: They do make ELPH camera's with 12mp, but they have Digic 4 processors not Digic 5, and some of them have CCD sensors. CCD was better than CMOS before CMOS went High Sensitivity, but now that there is HS-CMOS...it's better than CCD.
suplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:43 AM   #3

Thank you. I enjoye the write up, As it makes sense to get what works for you. Either way I look at it . the cam is not much bigger, or bulkier. Both have all features yet a MM wider yours. I have a 24mm and 25mm is just fine if asked.

Not interested in the small cams unless tehy can offr better battery life I owned a Sony WX-9 quickly I returned for that one reason very short battery life, the HX9V is perfect.

But I hope this cam will fire up and keep working with ac or ext power. For the find I got this cam for and just seen that it is only a few bucks more no complaints yet. till in hand Lol.

worse thing we can do do get more zoom tele/photo adaptor \

thanks for the advice Loved it

FISHY
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Thanks for the advice Loved it

FISHY
Hey no problem, that's what forums are for. I also forgot about the difference in MM widths of our cameras, but like you said...it's not a whole lot to worry about.

Either way you look at it, we both have (or I will have soon) great cameras.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:14 PM   #5

Yep, thanks wil see when and if it gets here. good luck on your decision
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:40 AM   #6

when it comes to carry-around cameras, i've owned or regularly used a canon sd 4000 (only elph with manual modes), elph 510, canon sx230, kodak z915 and briefly a panasonic zs20. i liked the 230 the best of those due to a combination of features including the long zoom.

when the sx260 came out, i checked and compared samples and finally went for it after the zs20 turned out not to be for me. yes, i had been hoping for something a little smaller, but the bottom line is that for me, the sx260 does what i want. fast shutter speeds, no or little lag, pretty good pic quality, stabilization that works even at full zoom with my shaky hands. the only thing i could wish for on a smaller camera would be better shot to shot time.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:53 AM   #7

Thanks Pcake and Sue

I just got off the phone and found out my order has been canceled. By shop.

They sent an email out and I did not get it lol. They said the cam is on recall. Not to get the camera click goes the phone to busy I guess

For the low price they offered oil wells

Guess I take it as a sign
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
They said the cam is on recall.

Guess I take it as a sign
Wow, I didn't know that. Where did you try to buy the 260 from? Amazon is probably the most widely recognized website for anything, but here are some other favorite sites of mine:

http://www.abt.com/product/60295/Canon-SX260HSBLK.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html
http://www.onecall.com/canon-powershot-sx260-hs-black
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:45 PM   #9

I found a super good deal. Forgot the price. Was at bestbuy 279 with 20 off sale

The cam offered 209 give or take

Moreforlessdigital based out of Florida. Thought I go for it. And like said they did what was best

Possiabbly their stock was bad and I should not worry

I like my Sony h 9v and hx20v.

Think I will hold off on future purchasing and wait. Maybe stevesdigicorum has some insight.

Yep I check amazon but preferre others at times
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:05 PM   #10

pcake- would turning off the "image review" help with your shot to shot time...?
It certainly helped the SX40 out- and indeed all my other cams....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote