Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 9, 2004, 6:56 PM   #11
NHL

It's been done before: the lens on the D7Hi/A1/A2 are also of the G-technology series, Minolta's high-end equivalent to Canon's L...
http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...Lenses#gseries

... So far the Dimage is the only new crop of 8Mp cameras which features IS! :P
BTW it looks like the Pro-1 only has 1 fly-by-wire ring as compared to a separate zoom and focus rings as on the A1/A2. Also there's no mention of any real-time histogram or grids and scales which can be turn on in the viewfinder as in the A1/A2...
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 7:13 PM   #12

To David. I understand what you are saying,i was just pulling your leg a little about the nikon in this canon forum!!! I also have the age/eye problem going on and wonder what i can do about it as far as my next cam. Yes i have about seven or eight nikon lens. but that wont stop me from going canon if i think i can do/see better with them. I still like nikon but as far as a digcam goes there QA is on the bottom of the pile. I would hope that the D70 would be better than the (4) 5700 i got and had to return for one problem after the next.Thats why i got a G2 and the A80 and so far they are just great. Let me know what you are going to get.Thanks for all the help.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:03 PM   #13

Quote:
As for the Minolta issue, if you are wanting the 8 MP, then why buy the A1 with the A2 just around the corner?
Thats just it. For those who want the "Prosumer" type camera with a 28 - 200mm lens, but DONT want 8MP and the noise issues that are likely come with it, the A1 seems like a great choice at a lower price to boot. If you do want 8MP, the A2 with the IS and manual zoom ring may be more appealing than the Pro 1?? I'm still deciding myself.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:52 PM   #14

It is going to be an interesting spring when all this new stuff shows up at the stores
---

Same here and shakey hands to boot, but I was blaming it on my attending the 60's (twice), not my age which is still only 29.
Though the wife is saying it is really 29 in cat years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealblue
I also have the age/eye problem going on and
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:47 AM   #15

For any of you with the eye problem - it's NOT in the lenses. My Canon Elan 7 & the 300D (I don't like the Rebel name, period!) both have built-in dioptic correctors. The more expensive EOS 3 however, does not. It would seem that Canon would add this feature since this is an $875.00 Body, but no you have to pay extra to get it!
Right now, I am more apt to buy a 5th lens instead of a small Digital - like the 15-30mm Sigma or the Canon 17-40mm 4.0L.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:36 AM   #16

To Railfire: I can understand why you would get a 5th lens and not a new camera.After looking at what you own now you dont need a new one.There is not to much you CANT do with what you have now.You have a great setup.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:28 PM   #17

Default quit a crop of 8mp 2/3” sensor cameras released

From what I’ve been able to gather, there is quit a crop of 8mp 2/3” sensor cameras released or on the immediate horizon. We have all seen how the Sony seemed to add noise at the same rate as they added pixels. It seems that Nikon, Canon, and Minolta will step up to the plate next. Has anyone seen any test data on the noise these camera-sensor combinations put out. Are they destined to repeat the Sony, or have the other manufactures found a way to keep the signal to noise up while increasing pixel density? Sony tried to introduce some new technology (4 color something or other) with the denser sensor, and I’m hoping this was more their Achilles heal.

I suppose its wishful thinking, but for me, I am looking to see what these new three bring to the table before going to the DSLR route. Speaking of DSLR, anyone hear of when a 8mp version of an entry level DSLR ay hit the market?

Thanks for everyone’s participation, this has always been the first place I go when trying to find something new, and get fact vs. fiction
Patrickfromva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 8:59 AM   #18
NHL

Patrickfromva

There's actually several flavors of this new 8mp CCD from Sony, just like the previous 5Mp.

It's all a function of how each manufacturer chose to implement the system in their cameras, ie Primary/Complementary/... or the extra color type of CCDs: The number of pixels stay the same, the differences are in the filter arrays above the sensor and the actual image processing coefficient in the cameras.

BTW has anyone noticed the 6.15Mp APS/dSLR sized sensor in the above linK?
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote