Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:25 AM   #1

Default New Canon Pro1

From the announcement it looks like the pro1 will be a very nice 8mp camera, especially with the fairly fast 28-200 f2.4-f3.5 USM L series lense, and the estimated street price of 999$ helps too .

Like to see this one close up in the store, April is a long time away.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:43 PM   #2

To Peterp. Yes it does look great but do we need all that MP range/ Please see my post(numbers game will you play) Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:57 PM   #3

tealblue:
I agree, I am not interested in the MP's I'm happy with my current 5mp. It does all I want for now.

It is the L series lense in this camera that intreagues me. As well as the focusing system is using triangulation that the dslr's use so it should be very fast on target acquisition.

It just may be that Canon has addressed the slow operation and lag time a lot of people(including me) have been complaining about on the current P&S cameras.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:04 PM   #4

Thanks Peterp. Now i understand a little better what all the fuss is about. Now if i have to get one is it ok to blame you? LOL Tealblue
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:14 PM   #5

Sure I get blamed for most everything anyway

With this new lineup, I think it is going to become tough to try to sell off my current camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealblue
Now if i have to get one is it ok to blame you? LOL Tealblue
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:23 PM   #6

Personally I will have to have a "Hands-On" look at the Pro1 before I would consider it. Sticking with my 300D & hoping to see an 8.2 MP version of the 10D hopefully by September (for less than $2,000!)Still NO wide Zooms in the lineup & I am surprised to see yet Another Elan 7 film camera!??? Nothing to make me want to trade my Elan 7 to get a 7N.
tealblue - sell off or trade 1 of the nikon Film Bodies (keep that N90S - I have a friend who owns 2 of them), & 1 of your 3 Digital P&S cameras & buy yourself a D70!
L8R,
David
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:56 PM   #7

To David: Shame on you!!! telling me to get a nikon.LOL. I dont see that you own one. Yes i will have a good look at the D70. And i will keep my N90 and the 7 lens setups i now have if i can get the dust off of them. I think the next move for me should be a DSLR.But made by who?? thats the the next ?.Tealblue
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:18 PM   #8

I'm very interested in seeing the reviews on this one. I'm not so sure I like the setup of the buttons on the Pro1 as much as on the G5. But, I'd have to actually play with it to see.

I'm also digging the look of the Powershot S1 IS.
Dani24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:30 PM   #9

I'm looking at it as well. At first blush, I think it falls a bit short compared to the Minolta A1/A2. They both are 28 - 200mm on the lens. The Minolta has the IS which the Pro 1 does not. In addition, you can get the 5 MP A1 version for less $$ and likely less noise. I like the SLR ring type zoom over the push button of the Pro 1 as well.

Have to see reviews to learn more. i am more partial to Canon, but the A1 does seem like a great camera.

Anyone else have any thoughts on Pro 1 Vs the A1/A1?
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 7:15 PM   #10

To tealblue: Only reason I said to buy a Nikon is because you obviously have Nikon or Nikon mount lenses. What you buy is your business. I have had Canon equipment since 1977 & just recently made the switch to the EOS system because of my eyes (comes with age) & lack of good, fast zooms & a lack of IS for the FD system. Thing about the FD system - it was SOLID as a Brick! My first Digtial, however was a Minolta S404 which is "on loan" to one of my sons.
As for the Minolta issue, if you are wanting the 8 MP, then why buy the A1 with the A2 just around the corner?
There again - what any of you buy is your business. I am merely into the discussion part & learning more about the EOS system. The EOS system is completely different than the FD, but the lenses focus so fast- I Love that!
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote