Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:31 PM   #1

Default The Numbers Game!! Will you play??

Now that canon and nikon,sony and some others have the NON dslr up to 8MP. will you play? and when will this all end? My self iam happy with the range of 4-5MP. I can get great 11x17, 8x10s from my G2 or A80 and just dont need all that MP.range. Iam not talking about faster or better focus we all would like to have more of this.But i dont think we need more MP. to get that. Just for the fun of it.how many of you will get the new canon pro 8 MP.? Do you need it or do you even want it. I dont need it but YES i want it.NOW they even got me thinking about it.LOL Its just numbers anyway? Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:55 PM   #2

if you want a high quality letter size [email protected], you need 8MP.
freeplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:06 PM   #3

You do?

I am generating 13*19's from my 5mp and they both look good and sell well.

If/when we up our printer capability to do 17*24 or larger prints the higher rez may become usfull.
The new high end Nikon d2h is only 4mp and is used for publication quality work by pros.

For now a higher bit depth would be more usfull, than higher rez.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:59 PM   #4

umm yea, what stone have you been hiding under? Steve mentions it in his camera and printer reviews, and it's also found in one of photoshop's preset image sizes. so i think it's fairly safe to say people actually DO print at that resolution. and i did say HIGH [email protected] examples would be, studio pictures or commercial grade artwork. obviously, newspapers and magazines don't need that kind of resolution.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:30 PM   #5

What stone? Hows the last 30 odd years working in a studio. So I'd guess that is the rock I have been living under.

As for 300dpi being hi-rez what a joke, the Linotronic image-setters were over 2400dpi years ago, and a currentish linotronic 3030 sets at 4876dpi.
Your home made printers are very good nowadays, but they come nowhere near the rez and capabilities of the image setters used for magazine & production work.

Oh the images being sent in are done on 16 and 22megapixel backs at 16bit channel depth. Try 320+ mb for filesize on each image in rgb mode, jumps higher if done in lrgb.

Nothing I'd want to use for personal work. As I said the 5mp digital or 4000dpi scans of my slides provide more than adqueate files for 13*19 output.

Of course this is all just a numbers game :lol:
Now someone is going to jump in and mention that image dpi and printer output dpi are not the same thing

Maybe time to do more than read a few reviews, and get some real world experience with printing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeplay
umm yea, what stone have you been hiding under? Steve mentions it in his camera and printer reviews, and it's also found in one of photoshop's preset image sizes. so i think it's fairly safe to say people actually DO print at that resolution. and i did say HIGH [email protected] examples would be, studio pictures or commercial grade artwork. obviously, newspapers and magazines don't need that kind of resolution.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:54 PM   #6

peter, you're going off on another tangent again. we're talking about his personal printer, not image setters. so you're comparing apples to oranges. but good job on telling us the difference *claps*
Old Feb 9, 2004, 5:02 PM   #7

Old Feb 9, 2004, 10:36 PM   #8

freeplay

You are talking about theory vs. practice. I get very nice 8 1/2 by 11 pictures out of my 10D, and it's only 6MB... and I'm even able to crop the picture some. Sure, not every picture is sharp enough for that size, but when they are, it does it very well. Very well.

So PeterP is right. I will say it plainly. You don't have to have 300dpi to make a "high quality letter print" at home, heck I'm using a 5 year old printer and it looks good to me and other Pros. Can you print at 300dpi? Sure, of course you can. But do you have to for "high quality" prints? No.

PeterP is also right, "commercial grade artwork" and many "studio pictures" are done with digital backs on medium format cameras, and they are done at higher than 300DPI when printed.

You, not he, brought up the "apples vs. oranges" comparison of home printing vs "studio pictures or commercial grade artwork".

Oh, and it should be pointed out that there are many speciality magazines that require similar resolutions for full 2-page spreads. So its even done in that medium, but not in your run-of-the-mill publications (granted.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 2:13 PM   #9

Freeplay, you are both RUDE and WRONG. See

http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Co...2004-01-03.htm

for an informed discussion of the relationship between sensor resolution and print size. My 4.1Mp camera allows me to print tack-sharp 8x10's - with borders - at 300dpi.

Noise levels in an 8Mp 2/3 type CCD will almost certainly be unacceptable at ISO's above 200, and may even be objectionable at ISO 200. I had hoped that the next trend in consumer digicam imaging sensors would be towards larger sensors with lower noise and greater dynamic range. Instead, Sony, Canon have joined in the great 8Mp race (Oly will be joining later this spring). Sadly, most consumers aren't knowledgable enough to understand the importance of pixel size and pixel pitch. Sony, Canon and Oly are betting that most consumers will (simplistically) conclude that more Mp = better image quality, and gobble the new 8MP models up in droves. They're probably right, since a fool and his money are soon parted. Current bulk silicon technology simply will not permit a truly low-noise 8Mp 2/3 type CCD. I was hoping to see more support of a 6 or 5 Mp 4/3 type sensor, with improved dark current management and acceptable noise levels at ISO 800. Guess I'll have to either wait, or go dSLR.

Either way, the only thing worse than a jerk is an ill-informed jerk.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 4:36 PM   #10

To Jkusmier: Thank you for your post! You have made the point i was trying to make,but i dont have the camera understanding that you do. This is getting to be a race to see who can have the most MP. and not the best camera.Its a race i plan NOT to be in,i like my G2 -A80 and will stick with them for now.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote