Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 9, 2004, 5:38 PM   #1

Default Complete newb with a S400

Hey,

I just went out and bought a S400 and a few accessories. I'm a complete newb to digital cameras and was wondering if i need any more hardware to use this camera properly. I bought the following:

- S400
- Digital Elph Accessory Kit: Pouch, Bag, Extra Battery
- 512mb SanDisk CompactFlash Card

Anything i'm missing? I'm looking to learn to use this camera for home pictures and general use. Any ideas? Hints? Suggestions?

Sorry to sound needy, but i'm really excited yet really afraid i'll do something wrong. I'm only 23 and this is a huge amount of $$ for me.
IamIkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2004, 9:53 PM   #2

That's all you need mate. You're set! Just be sure to use the wrist strap in case you drop the camera...it happens to the best of us and its not worth the risk.
richardmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:43 AM   #3

Thanks I paid the $60 at bestbuy for the replacement plan just in case i scratch the lense or lcd screen or anything like that, but i'll still keep that wrist strap on.

I played around with it a lot today, and all i can say is WOW! The panoramic ( photo stitch? ) program works great. It even worked when the item in each picture was as small as the camera. Now if i can just figure out what settings i need for normal shots lol.
IamIkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 4:52 PM   #4

Yeh i used the stitch assist mode yesterday to shoot this massive image of my city (Brisbane in Australia): http://members.optusnet.com.au/richa...ookout_800.jpg

For normal shots you can just use auto mode or stick it in manual mode if you want to adjust anything. Personally i prefer to set it to center focus so i can choose where it focuses (AiAf chooses focal points for you).

Wait till you try the long shutter mode at night time on a tripod with some cars whizzing around the streets
richardmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 8:17 AM   #5

Iamkari, I don't mean to hijack your thread so please forgive me but I just have to respond to Richard.

Richard,
That was
quite an impressive picture you took of Brisbane. I just got my S400 and am
still learning how to use it. I honestly didn't think I'd use the
Stitch mode untill I saw your picture. Now I wish I would have had it on my
last vacation. Again, that was a STUNNING photo. Thanks for sharing!

Rick
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote