Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:57 PM   #11

Simon, I agree with you on the ISO part. Limiting it to the lowest number at longer exposures is fine. In that case, the 15 sec max exposure becomes a cripple.

>> Having the ability to "take the shot" is quite different to being able to produce a quality shot.

Yes, but let beginners have the ability to atleast "take the shot", learn and then decide for themselves that the quality is not good enough...
panny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:39 PM   #12

Granted, I'm pretty sure Canon could have extended the iso range for exposures of 1 sec or over- and yes,maybe iso 400 might have been a reasonable ceiling in this regard. They sure were playing it safe.
I do however feel Canon might have extended the maximum shutter speed in Manual mode to allow for the seemingly limiting iso 100- 60 seconds wouldn't be unreasonable,would it..?
I wonder what the SX50hs allows...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:52 PM   #13

Yes 60 seconds would have been better. When looking at 15s vs 60s in comparison charts of cameras, I used to think "what do I care about this, I have never exposed anything more than a second or two, 15 is probably plenty for me". It easily turned out to be wrong soon after I stepped into the lightly lit street. The SX50 (and like I said almost all canons that I looked at the store) also limit it to 15 seconds.

Last edited by panny; Dec 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:25 PM   #14

After doing some online searches on this topic to see how people are dealing with this and for any possible solutions, I am a bit surprised that this 1 sec shutter limit on the A-mode is not talked about by the canon owners. That makes +/-2EV bracketing not possible if the normal exposure requires more than just 1/4 sec.

With CHDK, you can go to 15 seconds for +2EV (~ 4 seconds for normal exposure) in M-mode. But bracketing using chdk scripts leave something for me to be desired - the shots are not so quick in succession, and also I am not sure how the focussing works / gets locked for the 3 shots. Using the native bracketing in the camera - it shoots all 3 so quicky. Better/faster chdk scripts seems to be the only option. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:57 PM   #15

I should have RTFM. There is a section on simple bracketing here. No need for scripts.
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_for_...#CHDK_Features

Now I cannot be without CHDK just as I cannot be w/o vim on my pc
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:17 PM   #16

Vim...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:46 PM   #17

It is a text editor (for example notepad), but much more powerful.

Last edited by panny; Dec 21, 2012 at 5:49 AM.