Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:32 AM   #1

Default SX40 Auto Bracket - Issue

I tried to do some bracketing with my SX40,

Using Av (Aperture Priority) mode, and say 0/-1/+1 EV shots, all the 3 shots taken looked identical under many attempts except one. What I am noticing is that if the shutter speed required is more than 1 sec, it clips it to 1 sec making all shots the same.

I tried Tv mode (and set the speed to 4 seconds) and the 3 shots came out at different exposures. However for bracketing, Av is the recommended mode since changing the aperture for the 3 shots (in Tv mode) would cause varying depth of fields in the shots causing blur...

Edit: I am also seeing the same issue on my Canon S95.

Anyone else came across this (annoying) issue, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Last edited by panny; Dec 4, 2012 at 2:54 AM.
panny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:25 AM   #2

I'm guessing that in Av,there is a shutter speed limit of 1 sec or thereabouts- so if you're bracketing 3 exposures in a low light scene you may experience the problem of the 1 sec ceiling. Also bear in mind that beyond 1 sec exposure the SX40 limits the iso setting to iso 100- perhaps this is holding the exposure limit at 1 sec..? Are you using an iso higher than 100..? If so,try coming down to iso 100.
Other than using a larger aperture to shorten exposure times in your bracketing- thus not reaching the 1 sec limit- switch to full Manual to get your 3 varying exposures,adjusting the shutter speed- and don't forget to keep to iso 100 to give you up to 15 sec' to play with.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:37 PM   #3

The one second ceiling is crippling. Added to it is the other cripple where the SX40 limits the ISO to 100 at 1 and above seconds. And I realized the max shutter is 15 seconds which also easily became non sufficient for some night shots.

Yes I am using ISO 100. I never thought the limit-iso-to-100 issue is a big deal, I did not see a use-case for it, but when the exposure was not sufficient even at the max 15s and the widest F/2.7, I missed it sorely.

Similar to the 1 second ceiling on the canon, the Panasonics (a LZ8, LX5) seem to have a 8 sec ceiling in the Aperture mode which is far better. Especially with the F/2.0 on the LX5, it should suffice for most situations. Moreover the SX40 does not do exposure bracketing in full manual mode (in M mode it only does Focus bracketing) - I wonder why. If I am not mistaken there was no ceiling on the M mode in the panasonics.

Last edited by panny; Dec 4, 2012 at 5:54 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:14 PM   #4

Indeed the camera cannot bracket exposures in Manual mode... but you yourself can.
Just take several exposures with varying shutter speeds- use the exposure meter for guidance also...
But yes- there are limitations to what you can do on the SX40- though there is a software hack available(CHDK) to increase the max shutter speed- and I think possibly the iso ceiling also...

http://www.thedigitalphotoguy.com/20...nd-raw-format/

Food for thought...?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:39 PM   #5

Yes I tried manually taking multiple shots, but they were very minutely misaligned causing blur in the final result, not as good as the camera taking the shots in succession.

I have to try the CHDK. I have played around with it on my A590is, but haven't used it to it's full potential with bracketing scripts etc. Let me explore it a bit, first on my A590. The plethora of scripts and what works for what seems a bit intimidating though.

Otherwise the SX40 seems like a nice camera. Especially the low noise and crisp pics even at the tele-end.

Last edited by panny; Dec 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:55 AM   #6

Btw, I verified that not just the SX40 but a whole slew of the new canons - G15, S110, SX50, SX260 to name a few - all of them limit the ISO to the lowest value (100 or 80) for 1+ sec shutter speeds. Also, on all of them the max shutter is 15 sec, and the shutter speed gets clipped at 1 sec in Av mode. None of the current sub $500 canon cameras seem to offer you 'full' manual control. This is bad. One exception was the 30x zoom SX500 that did not limit the ISO above 1 sec.

So, if you are a little serious about photography, want low (very) light shots, and stay in the sub $500 non-DSLR category, I suggest you jump out of the Canon ship.

Last edited by panny; Dec 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:28 PM   #7

To be honest- quality long exposure work- and using higher iso's at the same time- is not going to be easy to obtain below $500/ non-DSLR, no matter what brand you choose- even if the technical specs allow such shooting.
Long exposure work really is the preserve of the large sensor brigade- certainly if you want high quality images anyhow...!
You don't even need to go beyond a budget/entry level DSLR for quality results in such shooting- and a fast prime lens to aid such shooting is also quite affordable..!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:40 PM   #8

>> quality long exposure work- and using higher iso's at the same time- is not going to be easy to obtain below $500...

Agreed. But then give me more than 15 seconds. Even one of my old small pocket panasonic (LZ8) seems to provide upto 60 seconds. And it even has built in bracketing.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:48 PM   #9

Having the ability to "take the shot" is quite different to being able to produce a quality shot. Would the LZ8 in low light/long exposures/high iso produce acceptable images..?
It's much like many cameras offering ridiculously high available iso settings, when the results at such settings are awful- negating the use and indeed making their inclusion a complete waste of time.
Perhaps Canon realize the limitations of a small sensor and as such have limited their settings accordingly.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:52 PM   #10

G'day Panny & Simon

Simon - I'm amazed to hear this > but I can see Canon's logic
We all know about noise & small sensor cameras, but I would have presumed that Canon would have allowed up to say, 400iso at least... ?

I've just looked up some after dark / noise test images I did with the old FZ35, and it was chugging along at 1600iso > yes noisy as hell, but it was taking the images easily

Hhhhmmmmm very eye-opening for budget-level canons

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote