Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Aug 18, 2002, 4:21 PM   #1

Default Tweaking firmware for s200

Does anyone have any idea how to go about tweaking the firmware in the canon s200? I love the movie mode but the 30 second limitation is so annoying! Surely it must be purely a marketing decision at Canon so as not to cannablize digital movie camera sales. How cool it would be to work around it and unleash the technology that we've actually paid for.

Thanks.

Mike
rockisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2002, 7:59 PM   #2

U R so Right...
If you get the info about that I will Be to know...
IxusGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 1:54 PM   #3

Default marketing or not ??

I agree with U guys. I was totally upset when i discovered a time limit for mpeg movies... but it was on a video cam. So I guess it's not only marketing.
Any way it 's still a huge mistake. Now the fuji f 601 has no time limit for movie or simple recording.
And this feature almost convince me to buy it. Actally i still hesitate with the last Ixus V2 or the 330 one. I saw some beautifull sample from it.
Wath would U advise me ??
thanksx
ednet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2002, 6:33 AM   #4

Default can't help you with tweaking...

... but I think this limit is not purely of marketing origin. Have you noticed that in all movie modes, maximum record length always results in AVI files close to 4MB?
I think the cam has some kind of buffer which no pic or movie can exceed. The buffer is written to CF card after shooting and processing is complete. So, to get rid of the limit, you have to write to card in real-time. Certainly more difficult than using buffer.

Wapper
Wapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2002, 11:57 PM   #5

I'm sure Wapper is correct in that the file size for videos (or anything else, but nothing's bigger than videos) is limited by some kind of buffer memory in the camera.
dwb122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2002, 12:22 PM   #6

Default DWB122 pics...

DWB122, those are some great pics you took with your S200. I am just about convinced of getting the S230 over the S330. One question though - how did you create the wispy effect on the pics at the bottom. Thanks.

Scora
Scora is offline   Reply With Quote