Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:15 PM   #1

Default Which camera is better? Canan G5 or S50 or Fuji S7000.

They are all aropund the same megapix and i am having trouble deciding which one to get.
Xellos2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2004, 7:50 AM   #2
hst

Default S7000

I have had both the G5 and S7000 and for me the best one is the S7000. The reasons:
G5 had a bad red eye problem the S7000 didn't because the flash is farther away from the lense
1) The S7000 didn't have the issues with purple fringing in high contrast
2)The S7000 is a much faster camera. The auto focus locks in quickly and the pictures look great.
3)6X lense on S7000 compared to the 4X on the canon
4)S7000 uses standard AA batteries
5)The S7000 allows for more cropping because they are 6MP. If you take the images at 12MP and look at them as a 6MP image, they are very good. Just download some of the 12MP shots at the review sites and then view them at 66% and you will see what I mean. You have to view the Canon at 100% to have about the same size image and when done, the Canon will have more noise.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:21 PM   #3

and for soem reason, when i go to best buy, the one there recommand more on G5 saying canon make the best lens. It is like the review is a bit mixed on G5...
Old Feb 12, 2004, 6:39 PM   #4
hst

Default Don't go only by the reviews

You have to remember the person at Bestbuy is probably trying to just go by what he knows but probably isn't an expert and neither am I. A lot of people really like the Canon and it is a good camera. It just had some flaws I didn't personnaly like. On the other side, the reviews of the S7000 were not to flattering, so I first bought a Dimage 7I then it had issues so I trade it up for a Dimage 7HI which I really didn't like. I then sold the 7HI because of a bunch of issues and bought the Canon G5. I had it just a few days and although the pictures blew away the 7I/7HI in quality, it just didn't consistantly give me good shots in a variety of circumstances. I can post some example of both if you like? I wrote a lot of messages to owners of the S7000 and they all liked their cameras.

I went with there recommendations. Once I got the S7000 I was immediately impressed.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 2:39 PM   #5

so in your opinion s7000 is superior to G5? Actually, how does Nikon 5700 preform as well?
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:30 PM   #6
hst

Default Yes the S7000 is better in my opinion

I think the S7000 is a better all around choice. Of course thats just my opinion.

Here are a couple of crops that show some of the issues with the G5 that I had

Purple fringe at on jacket and hair. Its a white collar on a red jacket

Red Eye - its in almost every indoor portrait shot
Old Feb 15, 2004, 1:01 AM   #7

Quote:
I had it just a few days and although the pictures blew away the 7I/7HI in quality, it just didn't consistantly give me good shots in a variety of circumstances.
Two issues here that I wish to comment on:

Red-eye on G5 - redeye is something that can be fixed with a click of the mouse if you have any photo editing program. It's not a serious problem. Redeye reduction comes, as well, at an expense to speed since the flash needs to send out a strobe to reduce the size of the red reflection "before" the actual shot. Redeye is a very easy edit and so it probably shouldn't be the major focus on an expensive purchase.

Here's the same eye that I just fixed using Paint Shop Pro (about 20 seconds). Note that I even added a little glint of life to it (below)

Issue two: I have an FZ10, a G5, and a Digital Rebel, and every time I need a real good photograph with great color, contrast and sharpness, quickly, and without worrying about screwing in lenses and such, I pick up the G5, and will continue to do so. It's focus assist beam is wonderful, it's output is rich and professional in every way. At 400 ISO you begin to see some grain but that will happen with any camera at high ISO. The Neat Image program solves that problem nicely so I would suggest that if you have "any" camera and you have shot at a higher ISO, you should filter it through Neat Image regardless, so, like the redeye, it shouldn't be a major concern.

I played around with a 5700 over Christmas (my brother had purchased one) and it's lowlight focus ability was horrendous, it was clumsy in my hands, and I was quite happy that my brother owned it and not myself...my brother agreed fully that he had made a mistake and reverted back to his 4 megapixel Canon throughout the holiday.

Regarding the purple fringing: yikes, I've never ever seen one photograph from my G5 with fringing like that, even at the highest ISO. I'm not suggesting that our poster here did some post-processing. I'm simply saying that I've never seen anything like that with my G5. If this guy is getting purple fringing like that "regularly" with his G5 I'd suggest that he return it because it is definitely a lemon!

To me the answer is this: if you buy a Canon higher end camera, such as the G5 or other, you will not be disappointed if you are willing to learn how to use it properly. I can't say the same for other brands I have played with. I wouldn't think twice about purchasing a camera from Canon, be it video or digital still. I have both Panasonic and Canon professionl 3 ccd video cams and the same quality and ease of use can be found in the video environment.

Not much of a decision problem as I see it. Buy the Canon.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:43 AM   #8
hst

Default Normcar have you tried the S7000

Normcar
Yes you can do the redeye reduction with photoshop and a lot of other less expensive programs do the same. I just got tired of post processing so many images. I did find that if you get close to your subject, make sure the flash is in line with the subjects eyes and then had a fairly well lit room, it helped a lot. The purple fringing isn't in a lot of photos. If you take a high contrast image that is when it comes up. You can look at the reviews and most mention the issue http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong5/page13.asp is just one of the examples.
I agree with you fully on the color. I had a Dimage 7HI and the Canon produced much better color and sharper pictures and very little noise. (some reviews commented on high noise with the Canon but that is not what I experienced)

Here is an example of a S7000 shot. It is cropped and I had to compress it/change the resolution so the file wouldn't take a long time to load. Besides that however is not enhanced nor been throuh any post processing.

XELLOS both cameras are good. Both carry a good name and reputation. The S7000 was the best choice for me and before buying it I was extremely sceptical because some of the reviews were hard on it. I went by what other owners told me and I am glad I did.