Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:34 AM   #1

Default Help with Manual settings

Hi. My daugter does a lot of gymnastic. I purchase the Cannon EOS Rebl T3i because it came with an extra 75 - 300 mm lens (it was christmas offer). Turns out that as much as I try, I can not get sharp pictures with this camera. I have used the AF button on lens together with the auto/Easy mode (no flash as we are not allowed flash during competitions)...results....pictures are not sharp, but rather blurry and can not crop them as they loose image. I have also tried using the sports feature for movement and it turns out worse. The pictures turn out with a yellow tint and still same aweful quality. I am not savy at this matter but am thinking, maybe my best option is to go to a Maual setting ? I need help and advice on how what settings to select under the manual button and I can probably try focusing the subject with the lens after that. I just hate the light, the color of the pictures and everthing. I can send a sample of what they look like for advice if that is possible on this website. HELP !!! - Desperate Mom
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:13 PM   #2

I suspect this is a low light issue-you are obviously shooting indoors-if the light is poor then you may be shooting at too low an ISO setting leading to a slow shutter speed then leading to blur when shooting fast moving objects (i.e. gymnasts !).It may even be camera shake for the same reason.

The 75-300 is also a budget lens and not renowned for its sharpness.

To improve things use the P mode and ;

1.Check your ISO setting-you need to get as high an ISO as possible without compromising picture quality possibly ISO 1600 or even ISO 3200 .It can go higher but I think the results are likely to be too noisy,and/or

2. Check your shutter speed ,I don't think the 75-300 has image stabilisation so you need to be looking at obtaining a shutter speed in fraction of seconds that is roughly equal to the length of zoom in mm.So if you are shooting at the long end of the zoom 300mm the shutter speed should be not less than 1/300 and so on. High ISO is more sensitive to light,thus allowing higher shutter speeds in low light .

Stick to autofocus. As you are photographing moving subjects,change the focus setting to A1 servo.

If allowed use a tripod-that should solve any camera shake issues.

Give that a try,it may solve the problem.

The yellow cast may be because you are shooting under artificial light. you need to adjust your white balance to tungsten or fluorescent.

Don't forget to adjust all the settings back when done otherwise you'll get some strange pictures when shooting outdoors in daylight.Hope that helps.

Incidentally I think this post should have appeared in the canon DSLR forum.
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:31 PM   #3

I now see that you have posted in the canon DSLR forum...
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:15 PM   #4

G'day FLora

JPW has given you some good info - may I offer some more

Until you become a bit more experienced with the camera, I suggest that you also try"
1- WB [colour balance] = Incandescent ie- light bulbs
2- set the top dial off 'auto' onto the icon of the "person running fast" ~ this will make the camera choose the fastest possible shutter speed for the quantity of light present
3- set ISO to "Auto-3200" - so the camera will go up to 3200 if needed, but may well stop at 400 or 800 if it's not needed
4- buy a monopod [a 1-legged tripod] for camera support when you're located in the audience seating area
5- set the focussing to AF-Continuous or Ai-servo as suggested above

After you have a bit more experience, you may want to explore other settings
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote