Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:19 PM   #1

Default New G1X High ISO

Just got the G1X to shoot silently at events. A few from my first try. Shot in continuous manual mode to crank up the ISO and shutter speed. First is ISO 6400, the rest at 12,800. Slight color processing. No noise reduction. It works for me. Scene burst mode is a bit tricky. Still working on getting the shutter speed up by dropping the EV. How does that work? I was frankly stunned by the high ISO quality. Still working on the sweet spot, sharpening, etc. And not a sound from the camera.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:10 PM   #2

The G1X's large sensor delivers very good high iso results.
As for the scene mode variant of the burst, I don't think you can adjust shooting parameters- making shooting in conditions such as those above "hit and miss" if you want some shutter speed...
In the scenario above, I might have gone with aperture priority,multi metering,shoot wide open and fix the iso at whatever yields decent shutter speed...
Alternatively,use shutter priority at the speed you want and use auto iso- assuming the auto iso goes high enough...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:45 PM   #3

I need to get at least 1/125 so I have to shoot the ISO up. But with this camera, it's not a problem. Turning the EV down ups the shutter speed in burst mode. I don't know why it does this. I've yet to shoot a theater show, so it should be quite an adventure in playing with the camera's various settings. So far, I am very pleased. Regarding the camera's reputation for slow focus, I'm just not seeing it. It's not a bit slower than my Pentax Kx.

Last edited by pboerger; Apr 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:42 PM   #4

Congrats on your new g1x....it might be my screen, but a few of your pictures look blurry to me. What setting were you using? I also found an interesting article that has some information on setting you might find interesting.

http://www.witnesstobeauty.com/canon-g1x-review
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote