Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old May 14, 2013, 1:21 PM   #1

Default My G 1X v. my T5i

I have had a G 1X for several months and find it a very nice camera. Recently, I bought a T5i with 18/135mm lens. Due to my medical limitations, my chances to thoroughly test and compare real field image quality within the return period allowed for the T5i are comparably limited.

I did get out yesterday and took a few shots in bright sunlight. At maximum enlargement on my iMac screen (iPhoto), I don’t see a significant difference. The T5i images might be a tad “cleaner,” whatever that is, and maybe a tad sharper.

The low-light performance of the G 1X is wonderful when I need it, but the longer zoom range of the G5i would be very handy for my kind of shooting. I shoot for 8/10, 11/14, and 16/20 canvas enlargements. Image quality is everything.

Any experience that would shed light on whether I might just as well return the T5i and save $1,100 would be most welcome.

Thank you so much,
Bob
nochance44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2013, 2:03 PM   #2

In the labs,there is very little between the two cameras- very similar in high iso performance,colour depth and dynamic range. Of course,the T5i will offer far more with regards shooting performance,AF performance and features, never mind the option to put on whatever glass you want.
Your choice depends greatly on what you'd be shooting....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2013, 3:58 PM   #3

Thanks, Simon. I shoot family, friends and scenery on our annual two-months in California (sons there) and two months in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia (family cottage there). (I'm not much of a photographer; more an equipment freak.) I've shot around a million images in my 71 years, but threw most of them away. I get a few decent small enlargements and an 11x14 for hanging now and then, and I recently got a gorgeous 16x20 canvas with my G 1X. Most of my pictures were taken in Europe and China before my body went to hell.

My eyes said, strictly in terms of image quality, there isn't much difference between these cameras, but I found it hard to believe with so few samples until you confirmed it. I guess I'll take the T5i back. I have better uses for the $1,100, like my wife will be needing a new computer pretty soon. It's such a beauty, though . . . . . . maybe I can rationalize keeping it (as usual).

Thanks you very much,
Bob
nochance44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 10:58 AM   #4

If you shoot mainly static subjects such as family pics and landscapes,then the pro's of the T5i don't really come into play... and the G1X is certainly easier to carry around..!
But yes,hard to hand back a T5i....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote