Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 16, 2004, 1:17 PM   #1

Default A80 vrs S400

I like these two cameras but can't decide which way to go. Any suggestions?
javachip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:50 AM   #2

Default Re: A80 vrs S400

Quote:
Originally Posted by javachip
I like these two cameras but can't decide which way to go. Any suggestions?

Javachip...

It's very hard for us to tell you what you should buy, since we do not know you, or have no info on your photo habits. All you posted was, "which should I buy?". Hmmm... well, either!

Both are good cameras. Both take very good photos. The S400 is a little smaller and has a more solid body (not plastic), but the A80 offers a swivel LCD screen. If you need something that is rugged and more "pocketable", then the S400 might be the way to go. If price is an issue and size isn't as important, you can save a few dollars and still get good image quality with the A80.

Atlantagreg
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 9:11 AM   #3

Thanks for responding. More than likely it will be used in the auto mode most of the time, primarily for family/vacation photos. I have read countless reviews with no obvious conclusion. It seems to me that the choice narrows to the fact of having a swivel lcd, which is protected when not in use, and is more user friendly in certain situations. And the A80 looks a little easier to grip. The battery difference seems mute to me as you will have a spare of whatever you have to use. The A80 is a newer camera with pic-bridge and I don't believe the S400 has that, although the S410 does but I don't know what the other differences are . I don't know if that should be an issue or not. The S400 is a sleek little outfit. I worry about damaging the srceen in the back and if it is actually too small for big hands. Some of the camera retailers tell me that they sell more of the A80s because of a better lens range and some reviews seem to favor the A80 because of the manual options but if shooting primarily in the auto mode then is that really necessary.
The prices are similar so that isn't an issue.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:05 AM   #4

I have an A80. It is very point and shoot friendly. I read a detailed review of it here: http://albert.achtung.com/cameras/A80/
This is a great review and you may want to find another review somewhere that will show the benefits of the S400.
Lisa
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:54 AM   #5

Thank you for the link. That was the best review I have seen. More detailed than I can fully understand presently but full of information. I have spent hours researching this and I think I am favoring the A80. Now I must decide on a CF card. I'm thinking about a 256 Lexar, maybe I should get two.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:59 PM   #6

You may want to purchase your camera from Costco, if you have one around. They have excellent customer service. I just took back a Samsung camera I had used for a month because I got the A80 and like it so much better. No hassle, no restocking fee.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:53 AM   #7

I think they are both excellent cameras but here's the main differences to me. The S400 is smaller and more 'pocketable' but it's pretty much fully automatic. The A80 has more manual modes, like aperture priority, shutter priority, and manual. For someone like me, I would rather have more control over the camera, but if you're going to be using it in auto the whole time, you might consider size and price when you buy.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:15 PM   #8

I ordered an A80 from Amazon. Got a Viking 256 card and also a Sandisk Ultra 256. I'm really looking forward to it. I appreciate the replys from everyone. This site has been very helpful to me with the various reviews and the forums to learn from. Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:14 AM   #9

Good call shopping with Amazon. You can check out your new camera for up to 30 days to make sure it is what you like, and that it performs to your satisfaction or return it with no hassle. Have fun!
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:36 AM   #10

I agree with lisantica, buy your camera from Costco if you can. I have tried out several different models and they take them back with no hassle at all. Even a Minolta F100 that died after over a year. Brought them the receipts, no problem. I just settled on the A80 myself and it has the right combination of everything: size, features, quality, ease of use. Besides, I have discovered two important points as I have looked for and tried out a number of cameras: first, a good photo is more photographer than camera (within certain limits) and second, a great camera is worse than not having one with you when you want to capture a moment in time because it is too big and bulky to carry. The S400 is a bit small to be comfortable to hold, no grip, unprotected screen, somewhat of a weak flash and average battery life. The A80 is only a little bigger, great grip, very useful swiveling lcd, terrific battery life using AA's (rechargeables), more manual settings if you eventually want them, interchangeable lenses, Pictbridge support, stronger and adjustable flash. For the same or slightly less money the A80 wins and I'll bet you won't be disappointed. Good luck.
zerbis is offline   Reply With Quote