Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:41 AM   #1

Default Canon PowerShot ELPH100HS question

I take a lot of photos of up-close photos of small items like coins and buttons. If I want a good, detailed shot of a very small grouping (2-3 items) I can use the macro mode and get great detailed pics. But when I try taking pics of a much larger set of these items (like 50+) I turn off the macro as well as the Smart Auto function, but end up getting a little blurriness on items around the periphery as they're not as sharp as objects in the center of the pic. I'm holding the camera about 12-18" from the items being photographed which is just far enough away to get them all in the pic. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to how to eliminate this bluriness without compromising the rest of the image. An example is provided showing some of the blurring on the right and bottom. Maybe that's the best I can do with this camera. Thanks from a newbie .... Bill
Attached Images

weatherman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2

Perhaps move a little further away and use some zoom...?
Many compact camera's at wide angle display softening on the edges- never mind the obvious barrel distortion displayed here...!
Things should straighten and sharpen up if you use some zoom.
Experiment with varying distances and varying zoom- though maybe 3-4 feet away and some zoom might be optimum....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Perhaps move a little further away and use some zoom...?
Many compact camera's at wide angle display softening on the edges- never mind the obvious barrel distortion displayed here...!
Things should straighten and sharpen up if you use some zoom.
Experiment with varying distances and varying zoom- though maybe 3-4 feet away and some zoom might be optimum....
Thanks Simon, but I tried what you suggested and compared that to the way I've been taking pics, and when using a 3 ft distance and zooming in the whole image was much blurrier than before. Any other suggestions??
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:44 PM   #4

Have you tried using the flash when you're further away...?
You may be getting more blur due to the camera selecting too slow a shutter speed for the given scenario- especially as zooming in reduces the aperture size- letting in less light.
By using the flash you can also keep the iso setting down,which should help.
As you're further away,the flash shouldn't "blow out" the image too much...
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Have you tried using the flash when you're further away...?
You may be getting more blur due to the camera selecting too slow a shutter speed for the given scenario- especially as zooming in reduces the aperture size- letting in less light.
By using the flash you can also keep the iso setting down,which should help.
As you're further away,the flash shouldn't "blow out" the image too much...
I haven't tried that Simon, but with silver coins it's almost imposible to avoid the "blow out" when using the flash, even at a distance or at an angle.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 2:47 PM   #6

The only other option is to move back a touch without zooming in,keeping the coins in the sharp area of the image- and then crop it...
Old Jun 25, 2013, 3:03 PM   #7

Quote:
The only other option is to move back a touch without zooming in,keeping the coins in the sharp area of the image- and then crop it...
I did play with that one time with some success as I recall. Thanks for the reminder and help.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 5:09 PM   #8

G'day W6

Looking at your main image above, it seems to me that your camera might not be 100% square with the coins below - and therefore a tiny depth of field will not offer the sharpness required

I invite you to chase up an old film enlarger which has a sloping vertical column - remove the film / enlarger head and replace it with your camera. You now have a very smart copy device where the camera can now be aligned to 100% accuracy as level to the coins below

By using this, you will also avoid shutter speed issues as mentioned above and with the camera in "A"perture mode at maybe f5,6 you will get the best sharpness the camera can deliver

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day W6

Looking at your main image above, it seems to me that your camera might not be 100% square with the coins below - and therefore a tiny depth of field will not offer the sharpness required

I invite you to chase up an old film enlarger which has a sloping vertical column - remove the film / enlarger head and replace it with your camera. You now have a very smart copy device where the camera can now be aligned to 100% accuracy as level to the coins below

By using this, you will also avoid shutter speed issues as mentioned above and with the camera in "A"perture mode at maybe f5,6 you will get the best sharpness the camera can deliver

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Thanks for the advice Phil. I'll have to give that a try.