Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 21, 2004, 7:01 AM   #1

Default Canon G3 and G5 sales

I posted this in Q&A but then thought this might be the better forum for it

A sales assistant at a camera shop told me today that they dont stock the G5 canon because it is out of date!!!! I was under the impression that this was a new model and said so, he then said that the technology was out of date and that I could do better than the G3 I recently purchased in November last year (I purchased the Camera from this store which makes it all the more strange). I noticed they were pushing sales of mainly Fugi and Olympus digital Cameras. I also was wondering if he was telling the truth here and that fugi and Olympus have better models that do a better job than these Cameras.

Does anyone have an opinion on this comment?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:34 AM   #2

Depending on what store you were at they were more than likely trying to sell you higher margin product, if it was circuit city or ultimate electronics aka audio king they're on commission which olympus, fuji, and the nikon 2100 and 3100 are high margin products, Canon especially the g series cameras are not high margin
Ironmaiden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:23 PM   #3

This store sells, furniture, white goods and computers throughout Australia. It is a very big well known store. they got into digital cameras over the last few years and it was they who sold me my G3 last year. But yesterday it seemed they were really pushing fugi and olympus and I just commented to the sales rep that there were very few Canons in the stock. Thats when he made the comments.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2004, 8:43 PM   #4

I recently purchased a Canon G5 and am very impressed with it. Here in the UK, you can still purchase them even though the G6 has been released. The facilites are just out of this world and the build quality - simply tremendous. So far I am very pleased - although the lens cap is an irritation and the closeness of the lens to the outershroud requires a filter (via an adapter) to protect it from stray fingers, lens cap falling off in bag etc etc.

For the money, the ability to control focussing (via manual option) and aperture/shutter priorities is just wonderful whilst the image rendition is just great - although the casting is down to taste and might require some software intervention.

If you're serious about photography but want a compromisebetween point and shoot and DSLRs, this is a good choice.
kafkaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:10 AM   #5

I would imagine it will start to get tougher to purchase/find the G5's becuase of the G6's. Most camera places want to get rid of "older" models and make room for the newer models.

I must say though, I have had my G3 since May of 2003 and it still takes great pics.

I am sure you have seen some of Vito's pics. I think he is using the G2. Just shows you don't have to have a top of the line camera to take quality pics.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote