Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 22, 2004, 7:20 AM   #1

Default A70 Video Out

I do not have the A70 yet but will purchase one with in the next couple of weeks. Can I hook up the A70 to my VCR and record using my vcr? Sort of like a tethered camcord. Or does the video out option only work for viewing pictures on your TV?
spurs50w21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 8:48 AM   #2

It works fine with VCR. You can record everything that you see on the LCD.
Oleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:17 AM   #3

Thanks, that's what I was hoping.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:00 AM   #4

The only drawback it doesn't record sound in this way. If you want video with sound, you have to record it first to the camera and then replay to the VCR.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:20 AM   #5

I was wondering about that, that is kind of a let down.

I was wondering are the video clips recorded on the camera limited by the size of the card or do they stop at 30 seconds no matter what? If they are limited to only 30sec can you have multiple 30sec clips saved?
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:04 PM   #6

Videos can be as long as you want. For example, on a 16mb, you can get about 45 sec. On 128 mb, you can get about 6 mins.
JuJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 5:32 AM   #7

You're sure, JuJu? I still have the 16Mb card that came with the camera, but the manual says that the 640x480 video is limited by 30sec, and the 320x240 - by 3min. As far as I understand, the length of video is limited by the buffer memory, which may be less than that of the card (my guess, for the A70 it's about 24Mb). With some cameras the video length is limited only by the card size, but not with the A70 - when the buffer memory is packed, the camera stops to save video to the card. But you can save multiple clips - as many as your card can hold. In fact, I don't find the 30sec/3min limit somewhat a problem, unless you want to record someone's long speech or something of the kind, where the continuity is important. Just make multiple clips, save to the computer, and combine them into one big movie.

As for VCR, you might try to combine video from the camera and sound from an external microphone. Hypothetically this should work.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 7:36 AM   #8

Thanks guys, the A70 is the camera for me. I will order it from newegg along with a 256mb CF card, a battery charger and some batteries.

Will there be any price drops soon due to new camera releases or do you think the price will stay at $250 for a while?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 6:56 AM   #9

Dunno.. Digital cameras drop in price very fast. I got mine in October for $300, and it was a good price for the moment.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 11:34 AM   #10

Is the E18 issue something I should worry about or has the problem been corrected.