Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 22, 2004, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Powershot Pro1 vs Minolta Dimage A2

Which one do you choose: Powershot Pro1 vs Minolta Dimage A2. Any inputs and reasons? :?:
dlee471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 3:48 PM   #2

It will be hard to say until the reviews are out. I've been on the fence for awhile about getting an A1. The prices are getting very reasonable now (~$620). I dont really need 8 MP of resolution.

As far as A2/Pro 1 go, they are close in specs.

Both are 8 MP, 28 - 200mm, nice quality lens, reasonable size and weight, pop up flash and hot shoe.

The A2 has the advantage of image stabilization, manual zoom ring (YAY!). Lots of settings available on dials without button mashing on the LCD menu. It is supposed to have avery good EVF.

The Pro 1 has a little bit faster lens @ f/2.4, a 2" articulated LCD (YAY!), electronic USM zoom (I like manual ring).

I think feature wise, it is a toss up depending on personal prefs. To me, the A2 seems ahead of the Pro 1 in this area. Image quality especially with the 8 MP CCD is unknown at this time (noise & CA).

We need some reviews!
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 7:45 PM   #3
hst

Default Here is an interesting article comparing the two

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6451_7-...1.html?tag=top

Sound like they both have their good points. I would think the Canon would end up coming out on top. It will be interested seeing what the reviews end up saying
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 8:59 PM   #4

CNET??

I think I'll wait for some REAL reviews. :roll:

I'm very partial to Canon myself. Right now, I have 2 Canon digicams, a Canon EOS SLR and a Canon DV camcorder. Pretty much 100% Canon at the moment.

I really do like the A1/A2 though. I really prefer manual zoom to the push button stuff. The AS on the A1/A2 is a nice feature, and the A1/A2 just has so many features (more than most DSLR) that you can get to from a dial instead of the button mashing method. Live histogram is great! I dont know if the Pro 1 has that one.

The jury is still out on 8 MP in general until we see some reviews. The Sony was not all that. The other cameras use the same CCD. If 8 MP just means lots of noise, I'll pass.

I think the A1 is the way I'll go. Prices are low $600s now. That is a lot of camera for the $$. I wish there were some A2 and Pro 1 reviews to look at.
Old Feb 23, 2004, 1:25 PM   #5
hst

Default sjm I hear you

I only posted the Cnet info because it was part of the show. They do not typically have very up to date info. Steves does a lot better job of a complete review.

I would think the Canon would outshine the A2. I had a 7HI and was not impressed though some like it. Canon seems to produce better colors and much more detailed images than Minolta, but since this is a new chip, who knows??? That looks like a great lense on the new Canon. Much like their DSLR cameras. A lot of companies are on the 8MP bandwagon but personnally even if it was the way to go, I can't see many people actually needing a 8MP camera. I still have a 2MP Kodak camera that takes good pictures and can print 8x10 photos even with minor cropping. With my Fuji S7000, I never have had any issues at all with it being only 6MP. I would think a 5 or 6 mp camera is about the best resolution. Even 3MP take good photos up to 8x10. I saw the A2 available at Dell but it was over 1,000.00. That seems kind of steep
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 1:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Canon seems to produce better colors and much more detailed images than Minolta
Yup. I really like Canon's IQ. I was looking very hard at the G5, but it seems to be more noisy than the A1. I wanted a bit longer zoom as well.
Quote:
I would think a 5 or 6 mp camera is about the best resolution
That's why I'm looking at the A1. 5 MP is fine. The A1 is not perfect, but what is? I do think it has the best features out there for the $$ at this time.

Canon will have to outshine A2 in IQ to come out on top. To me, it is a bit lacking in the features and handling compared to A2, but that is subjective. What is a great feature to one person, is not to another. I really favor a manual zoom ring, but others may not care one way or another.

I'm also looking forward to Steve's reviews among others.
[/quote]
Old Feb 23, 2004, 2:15 PM   #7

Sure - you ask this question in the Cannon forum and get Cannon preference and at the same time ask in the Minolta forum and get Minolta preferences. :lol:
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 3:12 PM   #8
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cczych
Sure - you ask this question in the Cannon forum and get Cannon preference and at the same time ask in the Minolta forum and get Minolta preferences. :lol:
Not really... I have a Canon 10D, but my preference would be the A2 for portability. Why?

1. It has both a manual zoom and focusing rings (with a Direct Manual Focusing overide just like a Canon's dSLR USM lens)
2. It has the best EVF period! ie 3x the resolution of the Canon's (or anyone else for that matters)
3. The Apochromatic lens on the Minolta is of the "G" series (ie the Minolta's "L" equivalent) and was already field proven on both the D7's and the A1 with relatively free CA from the previous sensors at least...
4. It has built-in Image Stabilization
5. It has the raw buffer (don't know about the Pro 1) but other cameras are already crippled in this mode by the absence of this buffer... which leads to off-camera processing options if you don't like what the A2 put out (in jpegs)!
6. There's also other unbeatable features on the A2 like WYSIWYG, real-time histogram, superimposable grids and scales, electronic filters etc... but we all have to wait for the Pro 1 release to see if it can match theses features right?

http://luminous-landscape.com/about/pma2004.shtml
"The stand-out features that appeal are...

Anti-Shake the only 8MP camera so far with image stabilization
Manual zoom electronic zooms as found on some cameras in this category seems to be at odds with the cross-over camera ethos.
Usable RAW mode and a large buffer that allows up to 3 three RAW files to be taken in rapid succession
Automatic viewfinder switching shooting over 3,000 frames on three continents with my Sony F828 over the past 6 weeks has shown me that anything less can be a real hindrance to efficient shooting on a camera with both an EVF and a rear LCD."
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:35 AM   #9
NHL

FYI from another Canon guy:

Quote:
Auto focus: Fast, faster than I thought it would be in fact almost as fast as my 300D.
Shutter lag: None. Seriously as soon as I pressed the shutter down it took the photo.
EVF: Much better than my old 7i. Smooth and clear, excellent
Build: Very good. Compact and very light weight.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7757721
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote