Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:06 AM   #1

Default A80, Can you fire the flash at the end of an exposure?

Hi all

I'm new to this forum

After nearly 2 years with my trusty powershot A40 (still works like charm) I'm getting a new digi cam soon most probably another canon.
I've been looking at the Powershot s45 and A80 The only thing putting me off the s45 is those damn propriatory batteries.

I was wondering if there is an option on the A80 like the S40/45/50 where by you can fire the flash at the end of a shot rather than at the start (i think its called rear curatin or something like that not sure)
I'd find his feature quite useful.

Oh and can onyone offer any info on their experiences of using propiatory batteries on an s45 or similar over the more flexible AA's

Thanks

Anthony Cripps
Crippsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2004, 5:09 AM   #2

I also got a Powershot A40 (1year), but I'm not going to buy the A80, but MAYBE the Powershot S1 IS. If I wanted a 4 mpixel digicam I would rather buy the Powershot G3. But now I'm buying a 50mm f/1,8 lens to attach on my A40 and take super-macro photo's.

To awnser your question. I think you mean slow-sync. The Powershot A75 and A80 do have slow-sync. But the S1 IS, A60 and A70 doesn't.
Bloodstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 9:43 AM   #3

To my knowledge the S45 is no longer being made.
Wait to see what the new S500 has to offer.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:30 PM   #4

Actually, what you are looking for is called second-curtain sync, (or rear-curtain sync). Slow-sync is something different. That's a mode that combines a flash with a slow shutter speed so you get a good exposure on your subject from the flash, and a good exposure on the background from the long shutter. Anyway, back to your question. Second curtain sync is not available on the A80 or anything else in the A series. The Pro1, the S1 IS and the G5 all have this feature and as far as I know are the only powershots that do. Additionally, if you have a good shoe-mounted flash, (550EX or 420EX) it gives you the option of second-curtain sync from the flash. But the Pro1 and the G5 are the only powershot cameras that have hot-shoes for external flash. All the EOS Digital SLR's have second-curtain sync except the Digital Rebel.
If you really want the effect without an expensive camera you might try using an external flash and firing it by hand at the end of your exposure (might require a stopwatch)
Hope this helps
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 5:36 PM   #5

Ah right, bit annoyed you cant do this on the A80 but thanks all for the help
Crippsy is offline   Reply With Quote