Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:43 PM   #1

Default beight sky causes glare

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Hi I'm having a poblem with my Canon PowerShot A590, I've read a review of this model here on site and hoping I'll find someone familiar with it. The problem is with outdoor shots...even moderate sunshine or a white sky comes up as glare on photos. Blue skies are o.k. Obviosly I moved away from “Auto” (more on this mode later) and tried out the “P” mode, adjusted ISO and exposure...makes no difference. The example that I've loaded up, is this the best that this model is capable of, am I missing out on some settings or is it just that the camera is old?
O.k., so on Auto...thisis supposed to be a point-and-shoot camera and every review writes it up as the “Bee's Knees”. My model gives dull photos and lacks detail on auto.
So, folks, what's the deal? Can anybody help me out here please? Obliged
Attached Images

stoppage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:43 PM   #2

The exposure on this particular shot is extremely tricky for any camera- as the difference in lighting on the two subjects (sky and trees) is vast- one is very dark and one is very bright.
The camera just makes a best guess- and here figured the trees would be the best thing to expose for- at the expense of the sky.
The dark trees require a much longer exposure time (longer shutter speed) than a bright sky does- and it can't do both in one shot. If you exposed for the sky (say with spot metering) the trees would just be black,with no detail whatsoever.
Adjusting the iso or switching to program will make no difference.

You might be aware of a fairly recent feature that many cameras have now called a HDR feature (High Dynamic Range)- and basically what this does is the camera takes the same shot several times (quickly) at different exposures and then combines those shots into one image with hopefully all the highlight and shadow detail captured.
It's quite effective- but there are caveats- one needs a steady hand (or a tripod) and your subject must not be moving- not even trees moving in the wind- as the combined/composite image will just be blurry.

So, to cut a long story short- it's not that your camera's faulty- or showing it's age- it's just a very tricky exposure for ANY camera to capture in one single shot..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 3:50 AM   #3

Hi,
You have explained the whole thing in the simplest and clearest language there can be !
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:37 PM   #4

Appreciate the quick reply but I think perhaps the example that I offered may have been a little extreme in light contrast, so I've loaded another example showing same glare effect towards top of photo..this time the difference in lighting however isn't so vast but unfortunately the effect is the same
Attached Images

Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:35 PM   #5

G'day Stoppage

Q- could the camera be accidentally set to overexposure?

I suggest you find the 'display' button and press it until it displays all the settings in use on the rear screen, then look for "+nnn" where nnn could be +0.7 or +1.5 sort of thing

If you find it, it means that somewhere the exposure +/- button has been set to + exposure, causing the extra brightness to appear in all photos

If you still are unsure - maybe dive into the setup menu [shown as a spanner] and choose 'factory reset' which will reset all except for the date etc and then you can restart your picture taking from there

hope this helps a bit
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:39 AM   #6

Stoppage- your second example would still be a problem for most camera's- as the bright sky forms a small percentage of the image, thus the camera has biased the exposure for the building,which like the first image, requires a much longer exposure time than an accurately exposed sky would- hence the extremely bright sky.

On some camera lenses the extreme brightness of an overexposed sky can impinge on other areas of an image which ARE accurately exposed- particularly on less expensive models.
Make sure the front element on your lens is perfectly clean- as this can sometimes exaggerate the effect.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Stoppage

Q- could the camera be accidentally set to overexposure?

I suggest you find the 'display' button and press it until it displays all the settings in use on the rear screen, then look for "+nnn" where nnn could be +0.7 or +1.5 sort of thing
You gave me an idea, I*d already reset to factory settings to no avail but I think the camera had been overexposing in bright light anyway, so when I lowered the exposure to -2/3 brighter pictures appeared without glare. Not the ideal solution, none of the reviews mention an exposure problem and this camera is quite definitely not a simple point-and-shoot. And the bright sky in the second picture..it isn't in reality aggressively white and my other Canon....an A3300 has absolutely no problem with the sky and shows no glare. Appreciate the help, I'm off to see if anybody else has a similar problem.