Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:12 AM   #1

Default Lens or Camera upgrade?

Hello. I am currently using the Rebel XSi and am thinking of up grading. I know lenses make a difference so not sure if I just want to do a new lens or camera. I do some portrait and wedding photography on the side not my main source of income. The 2 lenses I have are both Canon EFS 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 and EF 75-300 1:4-5.6 III. Taking video is not important that is why I was thinking about just getting a new lens instead of upgrading the camera. I am so on the fence any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!!
minsue73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:38 AM   #2

How can I repost in a different thread just realized this is the point and shoot section not DSLR?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:52 AM   #3

There are a number of possible upgrades. For wedding work, an external flash and flash bracket is probably the most useful upgrade. Then, a wide aperture lens - 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 are good options. A 70-200 f4 or 2.8 is also very useful for portrait work - the 2.8 would be more useful for wedding work - especially given the high ISO limitations of your current camera. I have to ask - what type of portrait work are you doing without flashes and with those lenses? The kit lens you have isn't great but stopped down for group shots it's OK.
What do you use the 75-300 for? Next to the built-in flash of a camera, that lens is probably the weakest link in your current gear.

So, I would say external flash = #1, lens upgrade #2 and save the body upgrade for last.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 4:18 PM   #4

Sorry I didn't mention external flash before. I did have a Bower SFD728C external flash. I just received a Yongnuo YN560-II Speedlite have not used it for anything so I don't know what it is capable of. I do have 3 softbox light stands as well. I do not use the 75-300 for much of anything it came with the camera. I do use it on occasion at family member school sporting events.