Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 27, 2004, 6:31 AM   #21

:? Dear Steve,

Briefly, on a purely image quality basis, how does the Canon S1 compare against the Minolta Z1???

Thanks for the ripper web site.

Nick
NickPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 1:55 PM   #22

Default pics quality

Hi Steve. thanks for answered me.

You said that for night clubs (alive shows covers = alive performances indoors) pro one wasn't your frist choice. Why? Just because of the AF response or for the image quality? Talking about these, could you say a picture taken with Pro 1 against one sigma f2.8 (28-70/24-70 or 70-200) will reach the same quality of image.
If i put one in front the other i hard tell the difference?
And Pro gtes better images than g5?

Thank you very much.
pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 1:57 PM   #23

Default iso 400

just one more think.

Could you post or send me imges taken with iso 100 and 400. I'm really curious about the noise.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 12:52 PM   #24

I'm really starting to get dissapointed in the S1 IS. I've been looking forward to it since it was announced, but it seems to have too many downsides for me to want to trade in my A80 for it.

I wanted large zoom from the start and was actually looking at the Olympus C-740 and C-750's but the lack of a rotating LCD and no focus assist lamp made me go with the A80.

Now the S1 IS comes along with the high zoom, but also no assist lamp, but I can live without that. the freezing image when auto focussing bugs me a bit, but I can avoid this with locking my focus ahead of time like I try and do now anyways. the thing that does really bug me is how it says the camera will display the image in continuous mode. At least now when I take pics of my brother and friends doing jumps at the ski hill I can use the viewfinder to track them and keep them in frame, I guess the S1 IS isn't going to be good for this stuff at all. It's pretty dissapointing.

I suppose I'll have to play with the S1 at work and see if I can live with the downsides or not.
ScaryFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:50 AM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPR
:? Dear Steve,

Briefly, on a purely image quality basis, how does the Canon S1 compare against the Minolta Z1???

Thanks for the ripper web site.

Nick

I think it is better.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:51 AM   #26
Administrator

Default Re: iso 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellegrini
just one more think.

Could you post or send me imges taken with iso 100 and 400. I'm really curious about the noise.
See the Pro1 samples page, we have all ISO speeds there.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 9:55 AM   #27

Default About the movie mode..

I find the movie record feature really useless on digital cams.. What good is it if you can just record a mere few seconds? But the S1 IS you can connect a microdrive to, but even that limits it to 4gb which is only about 17 minutes of filming for a very expensive microdrive..
So I was wondering if there is any way to connect the cam through USB to a laptop(or any computer for that matter)and record directly to the computer hdd? That would make the movie feature much more useful imo..

Anyway should I go with a powershot a80 or spend the extra doe on the S1 IS? Lose 1 mpixel and gain 10x zoom and better filming features, is it worth it?

- Preed -
Preed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 7:47 AM   #28

Default please tell us Steve

one thing i don't see any info on is how well the EVF works............there seems to be a lot of concern about how the EVF freezes up during focusing.........is this freeze time comparable to the Minolta A2??
MichaelL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 3:31 AM   #29

Hi Steve,
I notice that in your sample pictures, the quality of the pictures are slightly less sharp compared to G2 (I own a G2). Could this be because of the 3.2 megapixel resolution as well as the 10 times optical zoom?

Or is it just me?

Cheers
KC
kc4775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 7:53 AM   #30

Default no answer?

No answer for me? :lol: