Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:25 PM   #31

why did i know that there wouldn't be an answer to ,y question.........great representation here.........
MichaelL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 1:51 AM   #32

Default Which camera??

Hi Steve!!

Many thanks for your review, I have been waiting for it since I seen the S1 release in the Canon website.

Now, I am just considering to purchase either the Canon S1 or the Kodak DX6490. What camera would you choose?

Thanks for the good job!!

Jose Antonio
Spain.
juananxml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:50 AM   #33

well obviously the reviews here are more like brochures, and i had to go out and physically try the Pro1 to get an answer to my question above, so for those interested here is the results of the comparison.......
the Pro1 has an excellent EVF, but it has a freeze frame effect when AF'csing that can be a bit annoying until one becomes accustomed to it.
the amount of time the EVF goes into a freeze depends on how long it takes the AF to lock..........in other words, the better the light which allows the AF to lock quicker, the shorter the freeze time of the EVF.
in decent light, the Pro1 locks quickly.......in low light, be prepaird to have patience.

the Minolta A2 was the quickest focusing consumer cam i've seen.........low light AF'csing equalled the Pro1's bright light AF.
if there was any frame freeze with the EVF, you have to be quick with the eye to spot it..........
Old Apr 2, 2004, 7:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelL
well obviously the reviews here are more like brochures, and i had to go out and physically try the Pro1 to get an answer to my question above, so for those interested here is the results of the comparison.......
the Pro1 has an excellent EVF, but it has a freeze frame effect when AF'csing that can be a bit annoying until one becomes accustomed to it.
the amount of time the EVF goes into a freeze depends on how long it takes the AF to lock..........in other words, the better the light which allows the AF to lock quicker, the shorter the freeze time of the EVF.
in decent light, the Pro1 locks quickly.......in low light, be prepaird to have patience.

the Minolta A2 was the quickest focusing consumer cam i've seen.........low light AF'csing equalled the Pro1's bright light AF.
if there was any frame freeze with the EVF, you have to be quick with the eye to spot it..........
Michael, you have to remember people post here when they can, and when they have an answer. This site isn't here to serve just you

I think the Pro 1's EVF lag is manageable, and while not as fast as the A2, I think the lens is nicer, and I definitely like the motorized zoom better than the rough moving A2's lens.
Polaris20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 7:10 AM   #35

you are absolutely correct..........i found the EVF freeze a minor nuisance that i will get over quickly once i start seeing the results of this camera.
while i did my comparison yesterday, i shot many frames with both cameras and so far the Pro1 images are just plain cleaner and sharper than the A2.

i know that Steve isn't here to answer every single question posted on these boards, but i do feel that since i see that Steve has been answering questions to others in the reviews topics, that i allowed ample time for him to post a reply...........if this were a Nikon forum maybe?
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:25 AM   #36
Administrator

Please understand that I have precious little time to be on these forums answering questions - I can only do it when time permits or else no reviews would ever get written and there would be no news on the News page and nothing else on the site would get updated ... do you get my drift?

As for the reviews being "more like brochures" ... I kind of doubt that you will find the amount of information that we offer in a brochure, you obviously didn't get past page 1 of the review. I think the sample photos speak volumes for a camera's capabilities and whenever appropriate we always post links to the "other" sites' reviews so you can read them too. There just isn't time to do a "Phil review" of every camera and we never proclaimed ourselves as a technical review site.

FYI - it isn't proper neticut to post a question on a forum and then come back a day or two later and rant because someone hasn't answered you. After that you'll be lucky if anybody answers you.

I take the time to write the review. Then post a message here letting people know that the review has been posted but I don't have time to come here every day and check ALL of the forums (there are quite a few forums here) for new messages and then read and reply to all of them. In the time it has taken to compose this message a lot of work has not gotten done to reviews that people in other forums are waiting for ...

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 8:52 PM   #37

WELL ! ! ! i never........

by all means Steve, get back to work.........but with all the energy you just blew, you coul have answered a few of the ????'s that we as faithful attendants asked..........