I have posted full reviews of both the Pro1 and S1 IS cameras:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/pro1.html

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2004, 12:54 AM   #2

Hi Steve,

for some of the S1 review images, is it possible to do some zoomed shots? I'd love to see how the images look at the wide and zoom ends of the lens. At this stage the S1 looks like the ideal comanion to my faithful A40.

Cheers,

Graeme
GraemeWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:19 PM   #3

Default Histogram in shooting mode

Steve, can you clarify if the Pro 1 can show a real-time histogram during any of the shooting modes?

When you complete your summary, I’d appreciate it if you could throw in some opinions on how the Pro 1 compares with some of Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828’s more “unique” features. Like night shot, night framing, swivel lens, holographic laser auto-focus. What are fancy bells and whistles, and which are new “must haves”.

Thanks,
Eric
indy_eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 11:19 PM   #4

I have read one review on the Pro 1 and they said it still had lot of noise though not as bad as the 828. However I have looked at the shots on this site as well as the other and can say I am in awe at how clear they are. If you look at Steve’s shots that compare the Pro 1 to the Sony, in particular the close up of the boats. You can see strong purple fringing on all shinny spots on the metal with Sony; the Pro 1 has very little.

I saw the shot of the girl on Canon's web site and was in disbelief that the Pro 1 could take that great of a picture. Steve's shot confirm it can. I just can't say enough how great it is.

My friend has a 10D and it is so quiet, but it is soft also. The Pro may not be as quiet, but it also seems to have more detail.

This is a great camera and I will do what I can to get one. There is only one camera that could make me change and that is the A2, but we will have to see.

Edited
Actually I just found some sample photos of the A2 and it still looks noisy. This is a shame, because this camera has so much going for it. But if you compare the Minolta’s sample of the girl with clothe flowers to Canon’s there is a huge difference.
http://konicaminolta.jp/english/prod...mpleimage.html
http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/pro1/sample.html
dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:49 AM   #5

Default First comparison Sony/Canon/Nikon 8mpixels

Having downloaded all three surfboard pictures, I note that the Canon picture was taken af f4 whilst the Nikon and Sony were taken at f7.5 and f8. I assume this was just an oversight?
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:08 PM   #6
Administrator

All three cameras were used in "P" mode so what aperture was used was selected automatically by the camera.

The Pro1 does not have a histogram feature in record mode.

And yes, we will have wide-to-tele comparison shots with the S1 IS when the review is finalized shortly.

-Steve
Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:07 PM   #7

I noticed quite a bit of difference in the resolution of the comparison pictures of the Cannon Pro1, Nikon 8700 and Sony. Is this just the difference in the Jpeg compression? The Nikon jpeg is much smaller than the Cannon. Does the Nikon have a jpeg setting that would allow it's pictures to look as good as the Cannon? I didn't think the Sony pictures were up the the quality of the Cannon or Nikon. (On the picture of the playground equipment, I zoomed in to the tree leaves and noticed a considerable difference between the Cannon & Nikon). I will be buying one of these 8mp cameras and just haven't figured out which one yet. Since I'm not a pro, I don't have any brand loyalty.

Thanks

Bryan
bjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:57 PM   #8
Administrator

All three cameras were set to the highest quality level possible for the Large 8-megapixel image size. The size is relative to the level of compression being used and this is another thing you should compare as well as the overall image and lens quality.

-Steve
Old Mar 15, 2004, 9:33 PM   #9

In the review of the coolpix 8700 you stated that the feature advantages have less value if you need the versatility of interchangeable lenses, dSLR shooting performance, an optical thru-the-lens viewfinder and superior image quality. Does this also hold true for the Cannon Power shot Pro 1? I am considering the purchase of my first digital camera and am debating between the Pro 1 and the Digital Rebel EOS. What exactly is the advantage of the dSLR shooting performance and whay do you consider the image quality superior. Is there a difference between the dynamic range of the two? I have a lot of experience in photography but I'm having trouble coming up with these answers.
dadthemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:03 PM   #10

When will we see the final additions for the S1 IS review? I'm curious to see the image quality as I am considering buy it when it's available.

jd_noodles...
jd_noodles is offline   Reply With Quote