Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Apr 25, 2004, 10:19 PM   #11

If I use a non-Canon flash, on/off camera, will the G3 automatically come up with a (reasonably) correct exposure TTL? What will I need to do manually, especially in macro range?
DigitalNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 12:48 AM   #12

DigitalNewbie wrote:
Quote:
If I use a non-Canon flash, on/off camera, will the G3 automatically come up with a (reasonably) correct exposure TTL? What will I need to do manually, especially in macro range?

I'm still wondering :?

Thanks!
Old May 6, 2004, 8:37 AM   #13

Up close be sure and have the lens stopped down a little, both to aid in depth of field issues and to help the flash. Up close, if you have the lens wide open sometimes the control unit (thrystor)cannot kill the light fast enough, causing over exposures up close. This is where digital is so nice. It doesn't take but one or two test shots to calibrate your exposures correctly. Sometimes, depending on the look I want, I will dial in -1 compensation to lower the flashes affect and keeping a more natural look to the scene. With my 420EX fash I also will mount my sto-fen diffusor or omni-bounce to be sure the entire scene is covered. Up close with a shoe mounted unit you can sometimes, depending on how close you are, miss out on lighting the bottom of the image.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 2:30 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. Greg. Makes sense to me. I have an old off-brand (K-mart?)thyristor-controlled flsdh, about the size of a Vivitar 283, if you remember that 'classic'. It's too large to convienently use in the hotshoe -- I used a bracket and external cord with my 35mm SLR. Are you aware of a 'univeral' control unit that will fit in the hotshoe and let me cord connect my old flash?

Thanks, Steve
Old May 18, 2004, 1:03 PM   #15

I've seen some generic adapters you can buy for $10 or so that slip into the shoe & have the one central contact. On the side there's a sync post to plug in your cord. BEFORE doing that with an off brand, or even older brand name flash, see about checking the voltage of the flash so you don't fry the G5's electronics.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote