Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 2, 2004, 5:52 AM   #1

Default Canon G5 macro mode

I'm interested in buying a G5 (after discovering the Aussie price of the Pro1) and I have a few queries....

1). When doing macro mode shots at night time, does the barrel of the lens block the flash from the subject? If so, are there any tricks to solve that problem, aside from spending hundreds of dollars on extra flash equipment?

2). The RRP of the Pro1 in the USA is $US999 (about $AUD1250), yet the RRP in Australia is $AUD2200, (about $US1760). This makes me very irritated, as I had my heart set on the Pro1 but now I can't afford it. Is there some way of ordering one from the USA and then buying an Australian warranty to go with it?
sTeVEn_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:58 AM   #2

The lens barrel shouldn't be a problem if you shoot your macro at the telephoto end of the lens's focal range, which incidentally provides the best (smallest area) macro coverage.
nhf7170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:35 AM   #3

So you mean that using macro mode at full zoom but from a further distance gets a more close-up, detailed picture than no zoom at a closer distance?

I never thought of it that way; I should experiment with that on my s230 as well....
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:10 PM   #4

sTeVEn_au, not all digicams can bring the subject closer in full zoom. Get a cheap flash (maybe secondhand).
Bloodstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 4:48 PM   #5

:idea: You can bounce the flash. That is the better way to light the subject I feel. You just use a piece of white card/paper at an angle to your subject and flash. The light bounces off the card/paper onto the subject with a diffuse light that is far better than the harsh light of your direct flash at such a close range. Even better if your subject is metallic.
Jimboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 3:41 AM   #6

now that's an interesting idea... but would a piece of paper/cardboard really be reflective enough? I was thinking of a mirror, but I couldn't be bothered lugging a mirror around with me, as most of my macro shots are taken while walking through forests at night looking for spiders. I'll have a go with a piece of A4 white paper though...
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:48 AM   #7

YOU go looking for spiders in australia!!! CLEARLY INSANE.

GaR
garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:01 PM   #8

yes.. at such a close distance you should still get a perfect exposure. Remember that whatever colour the paper/card will reflect in the final pic. ie red paper will give a red light.

A mirror will also give you similar to direct flash.

Regards Jimboy
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:01 PM   #9

yes.. at such a close distance you should still get a perfect exposure. Remember that whatever colour the paper/card will reflect in the final pic. ie red paper will give a red light.

A mirror will also give you similar to direct flash.

Regards Jimboy
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:15 PM   #10

You could get a cheap shoe-mount flash and an off-camera shoe cord for under a hundred
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote