Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:50 AM   #1

Default A80 - buy now or wait ??

I was literally one click away from finally ordering an A80 the other day but I've heard some people are expecting an upgraded A80 (A85 ? A90 ?) sometime this year. I am convinced that the A80 is my perfect camera but if I have one thing against it, it's the small LCD. So now I have a big problem... does the A75 spec indicate that IF an upgraded A80 really is on the way, that it too will have a 1.8" LCD ??

If this is the case, do I wait (impatiently) for it to arrive in the UK... eventually... or go ahead and buy the A80 now ? Can I ask all you A80 owners out there - what would YOU do in my situation ? And if an upgraded one was announced tomorrow (with a 1.8"LCD) would you seriously consider upgrading ?? Or would you be quite happy to stick with your existing A80 ?? :?

Considerations are that I'm going on holiday to Australia at the end of April... will I regret not having bought it beforehand ? :x And I'll be stopping off in Singapore on the way, so is it worth buying there ? The best (UK) deal I've seen so far is a bundle including 128MB CF, rechargeable batteries, charger, & case for 285 inc. VAT.

Thanks for your advice,

Romy
Romy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:25 PM   #2

Default Buy now!!

Just like all the responses from the other site you posted this.
Buy it now!!
I just got my A80 2 days ago... as I know nothing about manual settings it is fun learning what settings effect what.

Great camera, with my limited experiance so far.
LynchMOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 2:42 PM   #3

well wat i've seen of the A80 is that it seems to be a very nice camera.....kinda like the G2 (probably better).
the upgrade may not be worth the wait.....the G3 didn't seem to me to be a huge upgrade.....a closer focus range and 3x more zoom for 200 dollars more......but this COULD be different than that
i think i would buy it now......i'm not sure though
i think you should wait till they announce the newer model (if it is soon at least) and see if it is worth waiting for (another megapixel or extra zoom or more features stuff like that)

hopefully this helps
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:25 PM   #4

hi there im from singapore n since u,re coming to my sunny island soon i suggest u buy the A80 here.. it is definitely way cheaper than in UK. i juz bought the A80 last week.. (Trying not 2 sound like a salesman..) go 2 this place called SIM LIM SQUARE. Shop around the 1st floor shops and try to :!: BARGAIN :!: :!: i got mine for S$610 which is est. 200. For the bundle including 128MB CF, rechargeable batteries, charger expect to pay $720. Good luck!! 8)
redtrooper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:14 AM   #5

I have the A80, the LCD is small, but you can overcome
this drawback with a combined hood/magnifier from
Hoodman, works great in bright sunlight conditions
and with the built in lens can double as a viewfinder
bigger than the normal one.
irwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 2:58 AM   #6

Hello,

Recently I purchased the A80 and am very happy with it. The LCD in my opinion is adequate given the physical size of the body. But then again, what do I know. I am just a newbie photographer and have a lot to learn about the A80 and phtography in general.

I also recently purchased the Canon i9100 Color Photo Printer. Awesome unit! The quality of photos taken with the A80 and printed with the i9100 is superb! I can hardly wait for spring and summer to take some cool pics. Have not made any 13x19 prints yet. I'm anxious to do so though. Cannot find any 13x19 paper in my local shops. Guess I will have to special order 13x19.

Anyways.... IMHO, the A80 is an awesome camera and I highly recommend getting one. Besides, a newer model will most likely be more coin. :shock:

P.S. Does anyone know where I can get 4x6 'matte' photo paper. Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 5:45 PM   #7

I purchased my A80 last October so got one of the first in Australia & have really enjoyed it.

However the sun is very bright here and the LCD is hard to view through, in fact almost impossible outdoors on a fine day!

If you are holidaying here, some thoughts.

1) I have found the viewfinder more than adequate for outdoor shots anyway. It also saves lots of battery power which if you are travelling around all day is a serious consideration. I do have two sets (8) of Ni-Mh 2200mAh rechargeable batteries, but with the LCD on and taking 50 or more photos a day you definetely get through one set of batteries. In fact if you have to use standard AA size batteries which I had to do once, the LCD only lasted for one photo & then the batteries did not generate enough power to maintain it, but was OK with the viewfinder only.

2) I would suggest that even with a larger LCD you would have the same problem in direct sunlight. It seems its not so much the size of the LCD, as the fact that the sunlight makes the contrast on the screen absolutely useless! In doors or on a cloudy day the LCD size was not a problem. I suspect the larger LCD is a gimmick more than an essential. Now if they could improve that contrast ,then ........

So.... get your camera A.S.A.P. so that you can learn to use it properly, and you will need some weeks of play to feel confident with it if you want to do more than just use auto, although that is more than adequate. And if you are coming to Aussi, get a number of 128 or 256 kb cards to store to, and definitely buy a recharger...$$$.

Good luck.
Tony
badjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 6:13 PM   #8

Thanks ! I finally bought my A80 last week and am finding my way round it. You can see my first attempts here: http://www.pbase.com/romy_uk

The camera came with a 128MB card plus four 2000mAh rechargeables and a charger. But I am planning to buy at least a couple more cards in Singapore, and some extra rechargeable batteries.

We'll be doing an overland trip from Darwin to Broome so there will be plenty of photo opportunities !

Rose
Romy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:53 PM   #9

Default Great Pics!

Hey Rose....

Congrats on the purchase of your new A80!

Awesome pics of the cats.

Have fun on your holiday.
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2004, 1:32 PM   #10

Sure, you could wait for a replacement for the A80. I could also tell everyone buying the Pro 1 today to wait because it's replacement is probably 6 months away too.....

The fact of the mattr is NO digicam will remain at the top of the market for than 4-5 months. Buy something you like today and don't be tempted by what MAY be out there 3,4,5 months from now. The A80 is a great point & shoot. I've suggested to my parents they buy one- it's as good as that type camera gets today. I bought my G5 last year & shot with it for several months before finally replacing my film SLR with the Digital Rebel. Now I'm going on a cruise in April & guess what I'm taking....my G5. DRebel makes some great images, but the G5 is very nice, produces great shots right out of the camera without the need to do all the post processing I've grown accustomed to with the DSLR, and, quite simply, the G5 is easy and fun to carry around. I have no desire to "upgrade" to a Pro 1. I'm not even sure I'd call that an upgrade.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote