Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:33 PM   #1

Default Should I buy a Canon? ( G3 or G5)

I am going to buy my first digital camera after many years with an SLR and, After what seems forever at looking at the reviews and forums and looking at many cameras, I still come back to the CANON!

My only problem is that it is so easy to become confused by reading all the reviews: one says something is fantastic, the next will tell you it is not!!

I have read many reviews that say the G5 is not that good ( Purple Fringing and Noise- even at ISO 50), so I started looking at the G3. The main issue here in the UK is that I can buy the G5 for less than the G3 ( don't ask me why).

So what I need is advice from you good people about the G3 and G5 , with regard to issues such as Purple Fringing and Noise-are they as bad as people say, Can they be fixed? etc.
All help would be much appreciated.
regards,
Michael1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2004, 1:56 PM   #2

The purple fringing is called chromatic abberation and is caused when the lens fucuses different wavelengths of light at different focal lengths. As far as I know, the only way to fix it is to shoot in RAW mode and open it in Adobe Photoshop CS raw converter - it has a tool to adjust it.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 1:21 PM   #3

I have a G5. The noise at ISO 200 and 400 can get high, but a program like Neat Image cleans 'em up very well. At ISO 50 and 100 image quality is truly excellent. What fringing I experience is in cases of severe backlighting. I recently found a very good Photoshop fix to the fringing problem, so my G5 is now an even nicer option to my DSLR, weight-wise, for an upcoming cruise in April.

I also noticed the MUCH lower prices on the G5 now that all these newer 8 megapixel cameras are out. Less than $500 compared to $700 6 months ago when I bought mine.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 2:29 AM   #4

I dont know much about the G5, but I have the G3 and love it.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 3:20 PM   #5

I've had great luck with Canon products. Have you considered a DSLR that will let you use your existing lenses?
Bob_Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 3:42 PM   #6

If I'm not too late I can buy a new G3 €200,- cheaper than the G5. But first I need to sell my old pc and Powershot A40. Because G5 has the same dimensions as the G3, the ccd size of the G5 is the same as the one in G3. More pixels on a small ccd results in a poor picture quality.

Also look at
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=21027
Bloodstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 9:01 AM   #7

Tell that to the folks scooping up these new 8 megapixel digicams!
Old Mar 26, 2004, 11:36 AM   #8

I am also in the same position as Micheal1950. It doesn't look good for the G5 and the abborations, every review I've read says the same thing, that is its a great camera but let down by the purple fringing.

Also anyone here know of any companies in the US that will ship to the UK. The cheapest I have found the camera in the UK is 375 but its $375 in the US and with the current xchange rates thats a cracking buy :lol:

Also Bloodstrike where can you get the camera from :?:

Cheers
satpal
schander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 12:14 PM   #9

Yes, the PF can happen in high contrast situations, but don't mistake that for being 95% of the picture taking situations you come up against. I am very happy with the quality I get from my G5. I'm going on a two week cruise from April 12-24 and the G5 is going with me, not my Digital Rebel and 2- "L" series zooms. At ISO 50 and 100 the results are really nice. At ISO 200 and 400 it gets noisy as all non-SLR digicams do (no exceptions), but I have Neat Image set as a plug-in on my laptop through Photoshop Elements, and it does a great job cleaning noise up on those shots I make at the higher ISO settings.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 3:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by schander

Also Bloodstrike where can you get the camera from :?:
Some internet stores has drop the Powershot G5 price from 700 euro to 500 euro or less: 425 euro (Netherlands btw)

I saw the Powershot G3 at Mediamarkt was selling for 550 euro and the Powershot G5 for 750euro.

But I'm still buying the Powershot G3.
Bloodstrike is offline   Reply With Quote