Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:10 AM   #1

Default G5 PIXEL FAILURE

HELP PLEASE ... Can anyone tell me if this is the norm or am I just being pickie.

I purchased a G5 just a week ago. I used it for about 3-4 shots. I was messing with one of the pictures in photoshop and zoomed-in 200% on an area of the pic. I noticed a single white pixel on a dark area. Now by chance the next picture (of a different subject) I was looking at I zoomed in again around the same area and noticed a single white pixel in the exact same place.
I checked the others and on all in the same spot a single pixel was white.
I took some more shots of different subjects to test and they all had the same white pixel. I took the camera back to the shop and they replaced it, no problem.

I have now looked at some pictures taken on this replaced G5 and have noticed a single pixel is white in all the pictures on this camera but in a completley different spot to the previous camera.

If anyone looks at these pictures it is not noticeable and you have to zoom in on the photo software to notice it.
It is very simple to remove in photoshop or any photo software, and is only one pixel in 5 million.

Should I be concerned or is it common in digital camera's to have these minor pixel failures ?

I have put a test example I did below and a 200% enlargement. I have outlined the affected area in a red box.
Thanks James

=
Jimboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:24 AM   #2

How long was your exposure and what ISO were you using ?

If you have a Canon authorized repair center near by , take your G5 in, tell them the problem. They will also ask the same question. It is possible you have a few " stuck pixels " in which case the CCD only has to be remapped. A simple proccess that takes 20 minutes.
Play your cards right be nice, they might do it right away.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 4:32 PM   #3

ISO 100.
I have taken shots at a number of different ratings, shutter speeds, etc. and they all contain this spot.
To be honest it is no hardship as It easy to manipulate in editing software. But I am wondering if it is a camera fault or is it just the norm with digital? When I took the 1st camera back the assistant mentioned that one pixel from millions is not bad, but had no problem exchanging for me.

I have only just dipped my feet into digital photography this past week and am feeling my way at the moment. When I develop and print from film I always have to spot the prints after because no matter how clean your darkroom you cannot eliminate dust particles and they'll always show up. So one tiny pixel is no big deal in comparison.
What is the feeling among Digital users on this forum. Should I really be too worried about this ?
Regards Jimboy
Old Mar 12, 2004, 9:16 PM   #4

Jimboy ....YOU SAID >>> " HELP PLEASE "........If you want to take care of your "STUCK PIXEL " you need to get the CCD REMAPPED.
Other option ......Buy from another store with a different production date.>>>>Your welcome.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:50 AM   #5

Yeah .. Help Please ... from people with knowledge.
I have been informed that it's not as easy as that !!!

Olympus camera's you can re-map but when it comes to the G5 it's not an option.

CHEERS
Old Mar 13, 2004, 2:59 PM   #6

Check your digicam for broken pixels. You can do this to take photo in total darkness and check the photo for white pixels.
Bloodstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 5:02 PM   #7

Yeah, I did this and I does not show the white pixel. I tried a whole number of combinations of exposure (shutter speeds and apertures) and in total darkness it does not show, I even downloaded and used the Michael Salzlechner Dead Pixel Test and showed Zero dead pixels & Zero Hot pixels. But as soon as I take a picture in normal light conditions it appears! ... as in the clock shot above.
:evil:
Old Mar 15, 2004, 1:42 PM   #8

[..quote from."Jimboy"] " Yeah .. Help Please ... from people with knowledge."
OH Jimboy now I say,...... Please !
[..quote from "Jimboy"]" I have been informed that it's not as easy as that !!! "
[quote from "Jimboy "] Olympus camera's you can re-map but when it comes to the G5 it's not an option. "

Jimboy,
In the U.S.A. , there are three (3) Factory Canon Service Centers.
Irvine, California
Elk Grove, Illinois
Jamesburg, New Jersey
Repairs on the G5 cameras go to the>> Midwest Regional Factory Service Center in Elk Grove Village Illinois, phone # 1-630-250-6500.
To quote a senior tech. " IF IT IS A SMALL AMOUNT OF PIXELS AFFECTED, REMAPPING OF THE CCD IS A PROCEDURE WE USE. "
You were either misinformed or maybe in England they do things differently ?...... Hmmmmm.
Sincerely
John G.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 3:07 PM   #9

Quote:
How long was your exposure and what ISO were you using ?
I answered ... Hmmm .. what was the point of the question ?