Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

Old Mar 19, 2004, 7:45 AM   #1

Default Where is my camera - XP?!

Hi, I posted this on the Newbie MB as well, but havent had any response as yet - wondered if any Canon experts here had an idea or two...

I have a problem with my 2 day old Canon Powershot A75 that I hope someone can help me with.

I took some practice shots with this unit, all looking very nice by the way. However, after following the instructions for picture transfer verbatim, I still haven't managed to download my images.

My camera is installed - as I checked under Device Manager - its listed as an Imaging Device, and all seems ok there.

The problem is noticed when I try to download via Zoombrowser EX 4.6 - it comes back with an error message - 'Camera Not Found'. The instruction manual showed a pop-up box that should appear when connecting the camera - which didn't happen.

I reinstalled/uninstalled several times to no avail...Took it to my work and it worked no problem.

Windows has obviously installed the USB driver for the Camera, but the software doesnt think that its installed. The only thing I can think of is that my USB port is not getting enough power. Any suggestions?

All help gratefully received in advance.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2004, 9:36 AM   #2

When you plug in the camera, how long do you wait for the pop up box to come up?
atkison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:10 AM   #3

Approx 1-2 seconds and the message box pops up saying "No camera found" - after it closes the Zoombrowser program briefly.

I was thinking of uninstalling my USB ports and reinstalling them upon reboot, alternatively, perhaps I should disconnect my USB HUb as it may be draining power...

Weird that it worked on a similar PC at my work, which was running Win Xp as well. :?
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:28 PM   #4

When I use the USB cable on my A80, XP wont find the camera unless it is set to the VIEW mode not the capture mode.

Hook the camera up to the PC then turn it on.
LynchMOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 3:37 AM   #5

I'm afraid its not as simple as that.

I have followed all the instructions as per the manual - I'm reasonably conversant with computers and how they work - so the simple things are ruled out.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my USB ports and updating drivers etc. As far as I can tell, its a registry problem at the moment. I went into computer management, and found some issues with Removable Storage Device. I am going to try some drivers for this and may hopefully solve the problem.

Thanks for your replies anyway
Old Mar 20, 2004, 10:25 PM   #6

Sometimes USB devices that XP doesn't recognize work just fine when XP is updated to SP1. Is your work SP1 and the other not?

Slim
Who is a "shot in the dark" kinda' guy.
CowboySlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 4:33 AM   #7

They are both on SP1 - mine is updated to the max (without all the crap).

I gave up yesterday, and went out and got a CF reader - which oddly enough, works just fine!

I figured that 2-3 days working it out was way too much, and spent 25 on this reader. :shock:

C'est la vie! :roll:
Old Mar 21, 2004, 9:46 PM   #8

For XP, if you have the communication set to PTP, you are not able to use Zombrowser for image transfer; you have to use the Scanner and Camera Wizard to do the image transfer. It functions just like Zoombrowser. To use Zoombrowser, you have to have the camera set to Normal. I learned this with my G3.

Also, the CF reader is faster anyway. When I download in Zoombrowser from the camera, the image transfer progress bar takes 2 wipes across to download 1 image; my CF reader does 1 wipe per image.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:24 PM   #9

Good choice, mooby,

I forgot all that in the fullness of time. I have a Canon A40 and XP Home SP1 on this PC. I only downloaded once directly from the camera and don't remember if I used ZoomB or not. Immediately bought a CF reader - the only way to go. I then D/L from the reader via ZoomB. But then I think that ZoomB has changed considerably in the last year.

Slim
Who wonders if you recognize my red face as one that traces to the lands north of Hadrian's Wall.
CowboySlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 5:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Who wonders if you recognize my red face as one that traces to the lands north of Hadrian's Wall.
Hehe! Like your wee signature there Slim!

I'll bet that you do however prefer the weather over the pond!