Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Canon

View Poll Results: Wich one is the best?
Canon pro 1 8 100.00%
Coolpix 8700 0 0%
Sony F828 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 22, 2004, 2:26 PM   #1
IDJ

Default Wich camera is the best buy? And Why!

Wich one is the best buy? Sony f828; Canon Pro 1 or Coolpix 8700?
IDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2004, 4:07 PM   #2

I am struggling with this exact question right now. Who gets my money?

Pro 1 has a lot more extras in the box (and the cordless remote is nice, not an option for the 8700), 8700 has a little more optical zoom. I've removed the 828 from my list because of some of the reviews I've read.

I think in the end the difference in the picture quality is probably marginal.

I'm waiting on the review at dcresource.com before I make my final judgment on the 8700. Jeff's night shots hold a lot of water for me as does the huge following of 5700 fans.

Really looking forward to everyone's input on this though. Not so much what's the best deal but whats the best rig?

Thanks!
Murdock
Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:33 PM   #3
IDJ

Hello Murdock!

Now i have a coolpix 5400 and the quallity of the pictures are really good, what is anoying for me is the auto-focus in low light...

I really like Canon, my reflex film is a Canon! But have a strong doubt about this no asist light for the auto-focus in Pro 1....

If you have some more informations about this match, please let me know.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:55 PM   #4

I have been following this discussion on that point.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=22781

However I am a total newbie and not really sure of all the pros. I am hoping your poll generates a good debate on it. Shops around here are talking about getting 8700s in this week or next so I am hoping to have plenty of ammo for when I go in and try them out. I assume the Pro1 won't be far behind.

I also found a poll over here that asks the same question but without any reasoning to back it up.

http://photographyblog.com/

the Pro1 and the A2 seem to be running away with it.....but again I am not sure of the validity of some random poll.

Murdock
Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:56 AM   #5

I have just purchased a Pro1. I put it on a shortlist with the 8700. Discounted the 828 after seeing the CA on Steves comparison shots. I certainly am not disapointed. Coming from a G3 I find the focus far better (have taken over 200 shots and not one is out of focus, this was not possible with the G3). Focusses quicker and more acurately, does not seem to be a problem without the AF assist light.

I decided on the Pro1 because I thought the 28mm was more important to me than the Nikons 280mm top end (with 8MP you can crop in), also already had 420EX flash. Also my workflow is Adobe RBG so the choice was made easier in the Canon's favour.

...Rob
robh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:14 AM   #6
NHL

IMO it's a mistake not to include the A2 in your poll... while it's not one of the popular brand it certainly has all the features including Image Stabilization and "works" just like a dSLR. This camera also has AdobeRGB (beside several other color spaces) mapping as well as a 28-200mm manual zoom, and is not crippled in the RAW mode like the others.

All it takes is to glance through the A2 high-resolution Electronic ViewFinder, and all other camera looks archaic in comparison... with the A2's real-time histogram and grid/scale turn on you'll be even more convinced!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:47 PM   #7

You should include the Olympus C-8080 as well.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 1:06 PM   #8
IDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by robh
I have just purchased a Pro1. I put it on a shortlist with the 8700. Discounted the 828 after seeing the CA on Steves comparison shots. I certainly am not disapointed. Coming from a G3 I find the focus far better (have taken over 200 shots and not one is out of focus, this was not possible with the G3). Focusses quicker and more acurately, does not seem to be a problem without the AF assist light.

I decided on the Pro1 because I thought the 28mm was more important to me than the Nikons 280mm top end (with 8MP you can crop in), also already had 420EX flash. Also my workflow is Adobe RBG so the choice was made easier in the Canon's favour.

...Rob
...Rob

First tanks for your opinion.

I have this coolpix 5400 and what is really anoying is the auto focus in low light and the manual focus is a shame also...

So, do you really like the Pro 1's auto focus? And about the manual focus? And the foto's quallity?

Regards.
IDJ
Old Mar 23, 2004, 1:20 PM   #9
IDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
IMO it's a mistake not to include the A2 in your poll... while it's not one of the popular brand it certainly has all the features including Image Stabilization and "works" just like a dSLR. This camera also has AdobeRGB (beside several other color spaces) mapping as well as a 28-200mm manual zoom, and is not crippled in the RAW mode like the others.

All it takes is to glance through the A2 high-resolution Electronic ViewFinder, and all other camera looks archaic in comparison... with the A2's real-time histogram and grid/scale turn on you'll be even more convinced!
Hi,

I'm sorry if I forget the A2 opition, but I'm from Brazil and is not easy to find this model for a "reasible" price, perifericals and support.

Do you have a A2? Do you think that the foto's quallity is better than Pro 1?

Thanks.
IDJ
Old Mar 23, 2004, 9:32 PM   #10

IDJ,

I am very happy with the autofocus on the Pro1 I, only have the G3 to compare it to. Have played with a Nikon 8700 and its seems a little slower in focussing compared to Pro1. The Canons low light is better than G3. Haven't found I need to use MF on the Pro1 (had to use it all the time on the G3)

I have posted some exmaple photo's on another forum if you want to take a look. Zoom range, Different ISO's and general shots.

http://www.photography-on-the.net/fo...0f571b5d81457d

.... Rob
robh is offline   Reply With Quote